recent places in winows explorer

J

Jason

I love the 'Recent Places' link in the common file dialogs in Vista. I'd really like to add it to the 'Favorite Links' list in windows explorer.

Unfortunately http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926167 states that:

The following three links are added programmatically to all common file dialog boxes:
. Desktop
. Recent places
. Computer

These three links are not .Ink files in the Links folder. Therefore, the links cannot be removed from the Favorite Links list in common file dialog boxes. Additionally, these three links do not appear in Windows Explorer.

This is a huge dissapointment, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Is there some registry hack or other technique that will effectively add 'Recent places' to explorer's favorites list?

Thanks,

J...

K

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

In a Common Dialog, right-click 'Recent Places' & select 'Create Shortcut'. That will place a shortcut on the Desktop. You can then move that shortcut into your 'Links' folder so it will show in the Favorite Links pane.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

I love the 'Recent Places' link in the common file dialogs in Vista. I'd really like to add it to the 'Favorite Links' list in windows explorer.

The following three links are added programmatically to all common file dialog boxes:
. Desktop
. Recent places
. Computer

These three links are not .Ink files in the Links folder. Therefore, the links cannot be removed from the Favorite Links list in common file dialog boxes. Additionally, these three links do not appear in Windows Explorer.

This is a huge dissapointment, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Is there some registry hack or other technique that will effectively add 'Recent places' to explorer's favorites list?

Thanks,

J...

J

Jason

Thank you. Works great.

J...
In a Common Dialog, right-click 'Recent Places' & select 'Create Shortcut'. That will place a shortcut on the Desktop. You can then move that shortcut into your 'Links' folder so it will show in the Favorite Links pane.

--
Good Luck,

Keith

. Desktop
. Recent places
. Computer

Thanks,

J...

K

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

--
Good Luck,

Keith

Thank you. Works great.

J...

--
Good Luck,

Keith

. Desktop
. Recent places
. Computer

Thanks,

J...

Ask a Question