rebooting from an old hibernate memory dump

yawnmoth

As I understand hibernate, it basically dumps the contents of the ram
to the hard drive and then shuts the computer down.

So say I've just turned my computer on from hibernate and I do
something that causes my computer to freeze. Or atleast a particular
application. Would it be possible to shut down without overwritting
the old hibernate data, yet have the computer think that the shutdown
had taken place via hibernate? eg. shut down without doing a hibernate
in a way that makes windows start up from an old hibernate?

R. McCarty

I believe the Hiberfil.Sys is purged once the system state is restored.
It (Hiberfil.Sys) isn't really persistent - just a temporary storage medium.

Bob I

I haven't tried this, but since that PC "froze", try pulling the
powerplug and restart. It goes without saying that if it breaks, you own
both pieces.

Michel Merlin

In your case if you want to try it, I think you may:

- remove your HD, install it as 2nd HD in another PC, and save
the 2 hibernation files (hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys, each
about the size of your RAM, both usually located in C:\), put
back the HD in your 1st PC;
- reboot 1st PC (true boot, i.e. not dehibernating), then when
it runs smoothly, save it ENTIRELY (as a copy, e.g. with
http://www.centered.com/ "Second Copy", or as an image, e.g.
with http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
"True Image"), then replace the 2 hibernation files with the
ones you saved, and try to restart (simple restart, which will
dehibernate; as opposite to a "reboot").
- being protected by your backups, you now act depending on what
happens.

My argument for proposing this way:

Software companies, including MS, seem to think they can sell
only to stupid persons (God what a bad image must they have of
their own products, to attract only idiots!), who will for
instance recklessly dehibernate after big and dangerous hardware
changes, without any backup at hand. They have even forgotten
that Windows contains PnP mechanisms that, as flawed as they
have been, now make Windows correctly handles a big part of hot
HW changes - which includes changes while hibernated. The same
goes for hot changes in network configurations and connections.

Result is: as R. McCarty recalled it, MS makes sure that
hibernation files have a very short and uncertain persistency -
e.g. they may get deleted after a failed dehibernation, or a
crash, or whatever similar incident, hence the need for backup
ASAP in the process.

Paris, Fri 18 Aug 2006 13:03:25 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----