Reboot on hardware driver installation

fordo

I'm trying to add hardware, a WD1200 hard drive, and it's
recognized upon bootup. However, when the "warning"
message comes up stating that the driver to be installed
is not signed, and I press "Yes" the PC reboots. This is
a continuous cycle.

I went into the Administrative Tools->Event Viewer and
found the following message:
"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck
was: 0x00000050 (0xfffffff0, 0x00000000, 0x8044f718,
0x00000000). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was
saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini031804-13.dmp."

What's happening? Anyone?

*Vanguard*

"fordo" said in news:[email protected]:
I'm trying to add hardware, a WD1200 hard drive, and it's
recognized upon bootup. However, when the "warning"
message comes up stating that the driver to be installed
is not signed, and I press "Yes" the PC reboots. This is
a continuous cycle.

I went into the Administrative Tools->Event Viewer and
found the following message:
"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck
was: 0x00000050 (0xfffffff0, 0x00000000, 0x8044f718,
0x00000000). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was
saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini031804-13.dmp."

What's happening? Anyone?

Any clue what device it thinks a driver is needed? The 120GB drive
shouldn't need a driver other than the embedded IDE driver already
provided and installed by Windows itself.

Try booting into Safe mode to see if you make it there okay. Then
reboot into normal mode. Could be something is loading that is
interferring with hardware detection or the last part of a
driver/software install, but less stuff gets loaded in Safe mode so that
can let the install complete okay and it won't be pending when you then
follow with a reboot into normal mode. It's worked on several
occassions for me.

fordo

That's a good idea. Thanks. I'll try that. Turns out that
when I gave up on the hard drive installation, I went to
attempt an i/o controller install and got the same results
when the installatino reached the same point. Over and
Over.

I'll attempt the Safe Mode Installation.

If anyone has any idea WHY it might be doing this I'd
appreciate a heads-up.

--
*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

.
`