really really slow start up

G

hey there :) wandering if anyone could help me. i have an Advent laptop, windows XP 40gb, 3ghz so it is should run really fast, however it isnt. before when i started up my computer my desktop screen came up within 30 secs, now it stays on the blue XP windows screen (the one before you get to the desktop) for like 2-3 mins. i have run virus software, got spybot, deleted as many as the startup programs as possible on the winconfig, i just cant think what else to do? be really greatful for some help... cos comp is only 5 months old... thank u :)

G

- for tweaking services running at startup go to www.blackviper.com
- for tweaking programs running at startup download Spybot Search & Destroy; in the advanced mode navigate to Tools/System startup; if you click one of the listed programs here you get additional information based on Paul Collins Startup List; you can enable or disable a program simple by ticking or unticking the checkbox in front of it

G

hi there, i already have the spybot program but it has not helped. the website is not wanting to display the super tweet part of the website, do you know of any other useful websites? wot did you mean in the advance mode nvaigate to tools/system startup? thank u for your help in advanc

----- Erwin Michiels wrote: ----

- for tweaking services running at startup go to www.blackviper.com
- for tweaking programs running at startup download Spybot Search & Destroy; in the advanced mode navigate to Tools/System startup; if you click one of the listed programs here you get additional information based on Paul Collins Startup List; you can enable or disable a program simple by ticking or unticking the checkbox in front of it

G

- at blackviper there is also a safe configuration list for services (http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm); I would advise you to apply this configuration to your setting
- also besides this, if you installed the Advanced Networking Pack for Windows XP (KB817778 - recommended update 7/23/2003), there is probably running a service called "IPv6 Helper Service" at startup: put this service on manual and restart (you can read more about this on http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1075093303
- you can start up Spybot in easy or in advanced mode (click start/all programs/spybot)

G

cheers for the reply, however the blackviper website is stil not responding for me... not sure why! i have put the spybot program on advance mode now, wot will that do?

G

As written in my first response go to Tools/System startup. If you click one of the listed programs here you get additional information based on Paul Collins Startup List; you can enable or disable a program simple by ticking or unticking the checkbox in front of it. So you get here more information about programs at startup than in winconfig.

Ask a Question