Windows XP Re-installing XP

Reaction score
A client's laptop (Compaq Pressario 2113EU) had all kinds of problems so it was tried to re-install Windows (XP Pro), but not from the original WinXP discs.
I am not sure what happened but it got lots of error messages referring to missing files.
Now, the status is that the laptop crashes during Windows start-up (even in safe mode) and restarts, most likely due to missing drivers.

We have ordered the formal recovery discs from HP/Compaq (the system is 2nd hand and was delivered to the new owner without discs) but I am afraid that installing these will lose the data files (no recent backup, of course) as it will probably go through hard disk formatting.
So, I need advice from you, experts, out there.

1) Is there any way to get a mini Windows on DVD so that I can salvage the data to USB-stick or CD?
2) Any other neat trick or program?

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
compaq

Do compaq still put part of the bios on the hard drive?

If so you would need a recovery disc to re-install the small partition prior to re-installing XP. I never touch Compaq for this reason.

Reaction score
Techy said:
ERD Commander

I appreciate the suggestion but for $499 ...... too steep for my client. I work (as unpaid volunteer) for senior citizens .... (SeniorWeb)
Any other suggestions?

feckit said:
Do compaq still put part of the bios on the hard drive?

If so you would need a recovery disc to re-install the small partition prior to re-installing XP. I never touch Compaq for this reason.

Well, I have ordered the recovery discs anyway, so that should not be a worry, but losing the data is what I am concerned about.

Reaction score
If you have FDisked the hard drive you may need to use the services of a data recovery company as you would if you have formated the drive. Cost from £50 in UK.

Reaction score
feckit said:
If you have FDisked the hard drive you may need to use the services of a data recovery company as you would if you have formated the drive. Cost from £50 in UK.

No, the disk is still ok; it is just the Windows installation that is corrupt. If I boot from CD, I can still see the data files, but I do not have the software to rescue it.

Reaction score
Not sure what to suggest as windows will not load. You could try some data recovery software, but not sure what to advise. Have you done a google search to see what is out their?

Reaction score
feckit said:
Not sure what to suggest as windows will not load. You could try some data recovery software, but not sure what to advise. Have you done a google search to see what is out their?

I think you are beginning to see my problem. If this was a desktop system, I would take the disc out and daisychain it to a good system, but this is a laptop.
It is infuriating to know that the data is there and not corrupted but you cannot save it ...

As for Googling, the only things that I find are very expensive; there is something like WindowsPE but that is only available to formal OEM's and I am not in that category ...

Reaction score
Could you not use a cross over cable to connect the laptop to a pc and try to get the data off that way?

Reaction score
murdoch said:
Could you not use a cross over cable to connect the laptop to a pc and try to get the data off that way?

Oops, Murdoch, that is beyond me.
Please clarify in simple terms.
How do I get a crossover cable and what do I attach it to (on both sides).
The laptop only has a hard disc, a CD reader/writer and USB, no firewire, no FDD.

Rob

Reaction score
Pensionada said:
Oops, Murdoch, that is beyond me.
Please clarify in simple terms.
How do I get a crossover cable and what do I attach it to (on both sides).
The laptop only has a hard disc, a CD reader/writer and USB, no firewire, no FDD.

Rob
If the laptop has a network port then you could use a crossover cable to connect it to the network port on another computer. The crossover cable should not cost more than £10, it could be a cheap way to copy the data, if it works. Go to any good pc shop and ask for a crossover cable get one long enough say not more than 4 to 6 feet

Reaction score
murdoch said:
If the laptop has a network port then you could use a crossover cable to connect it to the network port on another computer. The crossover cable should not cost more than £10, it could be a cheap way to copy the data, if it works. Go to any good pc shop and ask for a crossover cable get one long enough say not more than 4 to 6 feet

Yes, the laptop has Ethernet 10/100 on-board.
If I understand you, a crossover cable is, what we call a UTP cable but twisted somewhere?

Now, what software do I run on the laptop? Remember that I cannot start Windows; the only thing I can run is what is on the startup CD, which is really only the basic "DOS" stuff.
And what do I run on my desktop?

Rob

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Pensionada, sorry but you're in the wrong 'help' job. Not meaning that to sound nasty.

Using the manufactures "recovery disks" is just going to wipe the HD clean anyway ...
nod.gif

The simplest way to "recover" Data is to put the HD into another PC as a slave drive ... then just copy the data over. You can take HDs out of laptops. ;)

If that is not possible AND the PC has a "Burner" (CDRW) then use a Linux Live CD such as Knoppix ... Linux runs off the CD, does not do anything to the HD but can allow you to burn off the data.

If the computer won't boot properly, then it is pretty silly trying to network it with a xover cable ... ;)

Good luck ... but I think your "client" can kiss goodby to his data, unless you can take it to a pro.
user.gif

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Using the manufactures "recovery disks" is just going to wipe the HD clean anyway ...
Yes, I am aware of that; that is why I started this thread
muckshifter said:
The simplest way to "recover" Data is to put the HD into another PC as a slave drive ... then just copy the data over. You can take HDs out of laptops.
Yes, I am aware of that and would have done it with a normal disc, but this is a laptop using non-standard flatcable and power cords
muckshifter said:
If that is not possible AND the PC has a "Burner" (CDRW) then use a Linux Live CD such as Knoppix ... Linux runs off the CD, does not do anything to the HD but can allow you to burn off the data.
That is the answer to the question I asked to begin with. I will get myself a Knoppix disc tomorrow.
Thank you.

Rob

PS One of the problems of these forums is that people read only part of what is written and also that not all write English as their first language.Shifting muck isn't necessary.;-)

Ask a Question