Re inkjets: What do you use to clean your refill syringe?

Al Deveron

What do you use to clean your syringes when you refill cartridges?
I've been using surgical spirit for a couple of years, on the grounds
that it is much cheaper that the cleaning fluid sold by the ink
retailers - and it works fine. But now I'm wondering if distilled
water would work just as well. Or even tap water...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Al D

Burt

Al Deveron said:
What do you use to clean your syringes when you refill cartridges?
I've been using surgical spirit for a couple of years, on the grounds
that it is much cheaper that the cleaning fluid sold by the ink
retailers - and it works fine. But now I'm wondering if distilled
water would work just as well. Or even tap water...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Al D

Tap Water works just fine. I've stopped using syringes and use the plastic
squeeze bottles from Howard Electronics that have a top luerlock fitting for
a hypodermic needle. To clean the needle out I just turn it upright and
squeeze it a few times to run air through it, wipe it off, and put a little
cap on it till the next use. Nothing to clean.

http://heinc.com/kahnetics/squeezebottles.html

measekite

i avoid the entire problem by using the ink the printer mfg recommends.
i avoid clogging, fading, and poor results.

Taliesyn

measekite said:
i avoid the entire problem by using the ink the printer mfg recommends.
i avoid clogging, fading, and poor results.

And I avoid the entire problem of spending $90 or so (Canadian $) on
hugely overpriced OEM ink simply by washing my refill needles after
refilling with good quality aftermarket inks (HobbiColors) that costs
me "peanuts" for a refill and gives me very good results.

As for cleaning... simple rinse in soapy water, then rinse in
demineralized water. Takes a couple of minutes at most, saves me a
bundle.

-Taliesyn

Burt

Taliesyn said:
measekite wrote: (clipped nonsense)

And I avoid the entire problem of spending $90 or so (Canadian $) on
hugely overpriced OEM ink simply by washing my refill needles after
refilling with good quality aftermarket inks (HobbiColors) that costs
me "peanuts" for a refill and gives me very good results.

As for cleaning... simple rinse in soapy water, then rinse in
demineralized water. Takes a couple of minutes at most, saves me a
bundle.

-Taliesyn

T - You're working too hard! plain old tap water will do just fine. The
inks rinse out easily without soap. As a fellow at-the-desk, non-messy
refiller, I've found the Howard Squeeze bottles the best $12-15 US I've
spent for refilling. It really speeds up the process and involves no
cleanup at all.

(clip)

Taliesyn

Burt said:
(clipped nonsense)

T - You're working too hard! plain old tap water will do just fine.

Aw, Burt, you take all the fun out of refilling! Where's the joy in
plain tap water, I ask you? If we're gonna be accused of "tinkering",
I at least want to make it look like I'm laboring REAL hard . . . even
if it is for two minutes.

Hey, I bought my iP5000 in 2004. In less than 5 months it'll be 2007.
Wasn't my printer, according to Measekite, supposed "rot in hell" in no
time if I used anything but Canon brand inks? Well, it's still working
like new - the iP4000 too. Are we surprised he's as wrong as can be?
Well, of course not! We wouldn't do anything dangerous to our printers.
I value my money like anyone else. In fact I value it so much I'd rather
keep most of it myself at refill time. And I do!

-Taliesyn

Burt

Taliesyn said:
Aw, Burt, you take all the fun out of refilling! Where's the joy in
plain tap water, I ask you? If we're gonna be accused of "tinkering",
I at least want to make it look like I'm laboring REAL hard . . . even if
it is for two minutes.

Ah, yes - the tinkerers! What a vile epithet he threw at us! It ranks
right up there with molester, bastard, harlot, Commie-pinko, liberal, and
any number of other curses hurled at such social outcasts as inkjet cart
refillers.
Hey, I bought my iP5000 in 2004. In less than 5 months it'll be 2007.
Wasn't my printer, according to Measekite, supposed "rot in hell" in no
time if I used anything but Canon brand inks? Well, it's still working
like new - the iP4000 too. Are we surprised he's as wrong as can be?
Well, of course not! We wouldn't do anything dangerous to our printers. I
value my money like anyone else. In fact I value it so much I'd rather
keep most of it myself at refill time. And I do!

-Taliesyn

In fact, T, your printers have outlived the usual Canon built-in
self-destruct feature. Maybe you've found the inkjet printer "Fountain of
Youth" --- aftermarket inks!

TJ

Taliesyn said:
Aw, Burt, you take all the fun out of refilling! Where's the joy in
plain tap water, I ask you? If we're gonna be accused of "tinkering",
I at least want to make it look like I'm laboring REAL hard . . . even
if it is for two minutes.

Hey, I bought my iP5000 in 2004. In less than 5 months it'll be 2007.
Wasn't my printer, according to Measekite, supposed "rot in hell" in no
time if I used anything but Canon brand inks? Well, it's still working
like new - the iP4000 too. Are we surprised he's as wrong as can be?
Well, of course not! We wouldn't do anything dangerous to our printers.
I value my money like anyone else. In fact I value it so much I'd rather
keep most of it myself at refill time. And I do!

-Taliesyn

My brother bought my HP PSC 2110 in 2003. I inherited it in January 2004
and used it rather heavily while dealing with his estate, but much more
lightly over the last year or so. It's still going strong, even though
there hasn't been a drop of OEM ink through it since the cart that was
in it went dry in early 2004. I've used just two sets of carts,
refilling each more than 2 dozen times. The second set is still in use.
According to Measekite, my printer should have blown up or melted into a
puddle long ago. I'm still waiting for it to happen.

BTW, I rinse my syringes in ordinary tap water from a private well.

TJ

frank

Burt said:
Ah, yes - the tinkerers! What a vile epithet he threw at us! It ranks
right up there with molester, bastard, harlot, Commie-pinko, liberal, and
any number of other curses hurled at such social outcasts as inkjet cart
refillers.

In fact, T, your printers have outlived the usual Canon built-in
self-destruct feature. Maybe you've found the inkjet printer "Fountain of
Youth" --- aftermarket inks!
You just gotta wonder if, when meashershithead looks in a mirror, the
idiot sees the same moron we all see (or is the moron seeing an idiot?).
Or is he simply blind to his imbelsilic ways?
Frank

Tony

Burt said:
"Taliesyn" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Ah, yes - the tinkerers! What a vile epithet he threw at us! It ranks
right up there with molester, bastard, harlot, Commie-pinko, liberal, and
any number of other curses hurled at such social outcasts as inkjet cart
refillers.

Ohhhhhhhhhh
The pain, the shame, the ignominy and the disgrace that he has made me suffer.
Woe is me, for my sins have been discovered and I will spend the rest of
eternity repenting my refilling ways.
Time for another whisky, thank goodness no-one knows about that secret sin.
Tony

<snip>

Burt

TJ said:
My brother bought my HP PSC 2110 in 2003. I inherited it in January 2004
and used it rather heavily while dealing with his estate, but much more
lightly over the last year or so. It's still going strong, even though
there hasn't been a drop of OEM ink through it since the cart that was in
it went dry in early 2004. I've used just two sets of carts, refilling
each more than 2 dozen times. The second set is still in use. According to
Measekite, my printer should have blown up or melted into a puddle long
ago. I'm still waiting for it to happen.

BTW, I rinse my syringes in ordinary tap water from a private well.

TJ

TJ - would that be an "ink well?" OOPS - showing my age!

Burt

frank said:
You just gotta wonder if, when meashershithead looks in a mirror, the
idiot sees the same moron we all see (or is the moron seeing an idiot?).
Or is he simply blind to his imbelsilic ways?
Frank

You know those fun house mirrors, Frank. Fat guys look thin, tall ones look
short, and morons look --- well, they still look like morons.

polymorph

Al said:
What do you use to clean your syringes when you refill cartridges?
I've been using surgical spirit for a couple of years, on the grounds
that it is much cheaper that the cleaning fluid sold by the ink
retailers - and it works fine. But now I'm wondering if distilled
water would work just as well. Or even tap water...

I'll reiterate what others are saying, tap water works fine.

I've only found stronger means necessary if you let ink dry. Then a 9
parts water, 1 part nonsudsing clear household ammonia mixture cuts
right through even dried ink.

Steve

measekite

Taliesyn said:
And I avoid the entire problem of spending $90 or so (Canadian $) on
hugely overpriced OEM ink simply by washing my refill needles after
refilling with good quality aftermarket inks (HobbiColors) that

many recent posters had serious problems with
costs
me "peanuts" for a refill and gives me very good results.

and those poster complained of poor quality as well

Irwin Peckinloomer

i avoid the entire problem by using the ink the printer mfg recommends.
i avoid clogging, fading, and poor results.
Well aren't you a good boy! Bet you follow all the other sucker rules
too. Capitalism thrives on you good boys!

Irwin Peckinloomer

You just gotta wonder if, when meashershithead looks in a mirror, the
idiot sees the same moron we all see (or is the moron seeing an idiot?).
Or is he simply blind to his imbelsilic ways?
Frank
You've hit on the fundamental problem of the world: stupid people are
too dumb to realize they are stupid. That explains politics, war,
religion, & business. There are those who are so stupid they don't
realize they have a problem, and those who think it's somebody else's
fault. Stupid people have a lot of self confidence due to this stupidity
and therefore tend to get elected president, ayatollah etc.

zakezuke

Irwin said:
Huh? (aka "Say What?")

He's refering to that one person who complained about the color being
"way off" on hobbicolor ink, which IMHO the person got WC8 ink rather
than WC6 ink for their ip5000.

I have to admit, I'm not sure about their pigment black yet, I have to
run more tests, but the color seems to be spot on for the cli-8
compatable.

But it's amazing that one person who wasn't happy with a product can
turn into many recent posters having serious problems in measekite
land.

Al Deveron

Tap Water works just fine. I've stopped using syringes and use the plastic
squeeze bottles from Howard Electronics that have a top luerlock fitting for
a hypodermic needle. To clean the needle out I just turn it upright and
squeeze it a few times to run air through it, wipe it off, and put a little
cap on it till the next use. Nothing to clean.

http://heinc.com/kahnetics/squeezebottles.html

What a neat solution... Thank you for that!

Al D

Jan Alter

Irwin Peckinloomer said:
Well aren't you a good boy! Bet you follow all the other sucker rules
too. Capitalism thrives on you good boys!

Help! Considering unkillfiling measekite to endure some more pain and
suffering. It seems that some people actually thrive upon his incessant pot
shotting. I'm almost feeling guilty for suggesting to Frank a week ago to
clobber his messages to allow for a taste of sanity.