From: Harold A. Climer <Harold-Climer AT utc DOT edu>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Subject: Re: Excessive Hard drive access after defragmentation
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 11:33:46 -0400

You are located in Tennessee, but your messages appear to be routed through
Germany. You might have more reliable results connecting directly to the
FREE msnews.microsoft.com newsfeed. You may need to check Internet Options,
Programs (tab) to see if your newsreader is properly selected, and then
click this next line, or paste it into the address bar of Internet Explorer:

Next, because of the complexity of your system, we need a more complete
picture of how your system is configured, in order to provide better
informed advice. At one point in the past, you described your system as
having two 400Gig hard drives, but in this thread, a 400GB drive with C and
D partitions, and the other drive, (or K partition only?) that has 300GB
with about 50GB of files.

Combining info from several past messages, the following appears to be your
current configuration, and feel free to make correction/additions:
Computer Model: HP pavilion A1520N
OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition Professional
aka. "XP MCE 2005 Rollup2" [OEM? originally SP2?]
Age: 3 years? (OS 1st installed "almost 2 years" before 30May2008)
BN: Build Number 2600
SP: Service Pack 3
PF: Pagefile on C drive - System managed.
RAM: 3GB
CPU: 1GHz pentium 3
"AVI X 1300 graphics card"
"I have a ATI Radeon 7500."
DX: DirectX Version 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)
IE: Internet Explorer 8? [complete version number?]
Disk 1 = Master, 400GB, [Model? about half full?]
= C partition = "System" drive
= D partition = "System restore partition"
Disk 2 = Slave, 400GB, [Model? how full?]
= K partition [300GB with about 50GB of files?]
= L partition [100GB?]
Disk 3, O drive = Maxtor USB 1TB [USB 2.0?]
Monitor?
Keyboard?
Mouse? (PS2 or USB?)
Other hardware?

In one of your messages, I noticed "Weather.exe" in an error report.
Do you have weather station hardware linked to your computer?

Another thing you could do to help us understand your configuration:

How to Access System Information
click Start, click Run, type or paste next line, and press Enter:
msinfo32
(or Start> [all]Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Information)

click System Summary in left pane
press ctrl+A keys (to Select All), press ctrl+C keys (to Copy)
Start a message reply here, and paste that into the message.
(Delete the System name and User name lines for privacy if you like.)
in msinfo32 again, in the left pane,
click +Components (expand the tree), click +Storage (expand the tree)
click Drives, press ctrl+A, ctrl+C, and paste that into the message.
in msinfo32 again, below Drives, click Disks, press ctrl+A, ctrl+C
and paste that into the same message also.
further down in msinfo, click Problem Devices.
if any listed, press ctrl+A, ctrl+C and paste into message
(Thanks. :)

Now, back to the current thread:
"Harold A Climer" <Harold-Climer AT utc DOT edu> wrote:
HC> I have an HP pavilion A1520N computer running Windows XP MCE with
HC> SP3 installed. I have two hard drives installed with partitions
HC> C and D on the master drive and K and L on the slave drive. I also
HC> have a Maxtor USB 1 TB drive as the O drive.
HC> The D drive is the system restore drive.

Elsewhere you referred to a system drive and a "recovery" drive. By "system
restore" do you mean your System Restore "Points" information is stored
there, or is the D drive the original computer's Recovery partition?
HC> In the last week I decided to de fragment all my drives since it has
HC> been since Christmas vacation since I did it last. After doing this
HC> I noticed that there was a large increase in disk access compared
HC> to before de fragmentation. At times the little yellow disk activity
HC> light is on almost constantly on and for long periods of time.

Was that 1st defrag done with Norton Speed Disk or Windows defrag?
HC> I also noticed that since de fragmentation it seems as if the
HC> computer sometimes locks up. By this I mean that after closing a
HC> program it takes quite a while for another program to respond to
HC> a mouse click to get it started or to access the Start menu, etc.

There could be a common underlying problem, or that is separate.
HC> Using Norton Speeeddisk I have only been able to only get down
HC> to 25% fragmentation from about 46%.
HC> When I used the Windows defragmenter utility it reports
HC> from 2% down to less than 1%.
HC> Both programs report some files can't be defragmented.
HC> (Volume information files (Restore Point information I think)

The first thing to keep in mind about defragmentation is that fragmented
files that are NOT being accessed have little or no effect on anything.
It's common for a pagefile to have 1 fragment. You can get somewhat better
defrag results if you start in Safe Mode and use Windows Disk Defragmenter.
A web search on Norton Speeddisk Problems turned up a lot of reports of
problems with the peculiar way Norton, not only defrags, but apparently
rearranges files; and I saw some reports where fragmentation after using
Norton was greater, even as reported by the Norton utility.

In an old October 2007 thread, I found where a man had noticed that his
drive was constantly being accessed, even though he had not transferred any
files, and he said: "It's then that I thought maybe Diskeeper was for some
reason accessing this drive. I opened Diskeeper and saw that Automatic
Defragmentation was enabled. I disabled this and haven't had any problems
with my drive since." It may be that Speeddisk has a similar feature.
HC> Does anyone know if there is malicious software out there that
HC> deliberately increases the fragmentation of a hard drive?

Duh. (If it's "out there" and not IN your computer, why worry? :)

I've heard reports of viruses that supposedly destroy drives by putting them
in some kind of endless access loop. I would suppose there could be over
heating problems in such a case that might mess up the electronics.
Yesterday, while doing a FULL Malwarebytes scan on another computer here,
the computer fan switched to high speed for nearly 15 seconds.

Besides the anti-spyware scans that you have done, if you haven't done so
yet, download and run the free (Home edition) Avast! antivirus program, and
update Avast, then disconnect from the internet, disable your current AV and
its firewall, enable Windows firewall, (and if you have Windows Defender,
you can leave it enabled,) and run a full scan. Be sure to check your D
partition with all anti malware programs before you rely upon it to
reinstall the OS. (Although more than one antispyware program can in some
cases be run at the same time, it is best to run only one antivirus program
and have one firewall active at a time. Router firewalls excepted.) Do not
connect to the internet without a firewall and antivirus program active.

FREE Home Edition Avast! antivirus - anti-spyware protection

By the way, a lot of people have suggested you download and use various
diagnostic tools and utilities. I would suggest that you keep a copy of the
installation software, but uninstall any that you do not currently need.
HC> Could it be that the hard drive controller on the motherboard is
HC> flaky?

Possibly, but probably not. There might be a more up to date disk
driver available on the drive manufacturer's web site.
HC> The excessive read or writes is still occurring. Each event lasts
HC> from 15 to 45 seconds or more (I have timed it). During this time
HC> the computer is unresponsive to mouse clicks or movement of
HC> icons etc using the mouse.

(Someone else already mentioned that Norton is a "resource hog"... :)
HC> Handles 20151 Physical Memory 3144172
HC> Threads 670 Available 2364672
HC> Processes 71 System Cache 2478716

Compare that with my XP-Pro-SP3, 3Ghz Pentium 4, 1GB-RAM computer:
Currently I have 7293 Handles, 352 Threads, 29 processes. My pagefile usage
(Commit Charge) is 240M / 2444M (about 10% - The highest I have ever seen is
21%). On my taskbar I currently have one folder open, 2 applications, this
message draft, and Task Manager. Every 66 seconds, there is an 18% spike for
about 4 seconds on the CPU Usage graph when sqlservr.exe does whatever it
does - otherwise both graphs are pretty much flat lined.
HC> The above values were taken during very low disk activity.
HC> None of the other reading changed very much during the
HC> unusual disk activity.

Which tells you the disk activity is not related to memory usage, and
therefore not a pagefile problem. Besides the aforementioned possibility of
Automatic defrag, Twayne mentioned the possibility of file Indexing or
anti-virus scan during idle times. I can't see how any of those would cause
delayed mouse clicks or program start and close delay. USB keyboard? USB
mouse? Wireless mouse with old battery? Keep in mind that most modern
antivirus programs have the ability to check ZIP archive files, (I think,)
by uncompressing files to a temporary folder to check them, and then of
course, deleting the temporary files. If that is the case, I would think
that there would be both excessive drive activity, and a lot of file
fragmentation. Do you use Compressed (ZIP) Folders for active files?
(Since the Windows Search includes text search within files, I'm wondering
if the Indexing service that runs in the background might also access zip
files to build a keyword index? Microsoft Office document indexing?)
Since my computer has a dual core processor, is there a utility that
looks at each processor individuallly to see what each one is doing?

I have no experience with dual core processors, but in (Alt+Ctrl+Del) Task
Manager, when the Performance tab is active, the View menu has an additional
"CPU History" item with "One Graph Per CPU" toggle, which has no observable
effect on my single processor system. Let us know if it works for you.

Also, besides studying Processes in Task Manager, you can access more
comprehensive information in msinfo32 System Information. Maximize the
window, and click + Software Environment (expand tree), click Running Tasks.
The total number of columns is too wide to fit into the 76 character line
length limit in these Usenet newsgroups, but you can ctrl+A, ctrl+C that
info and paste into Notepad, or Wordpad, or MS Word. You might want to
ctrl+A, ctrl+C, capture (and paste) info while you are not getting disk
chatter, and then when you get abnormal disk activity, on the msinfo menu
bar, click View> Refresh, and ctrl+A, ctrl+C capture/paste and compare with
the previous info. When you click on the column headers to arrange the info
various ways, you need to click View> Refresh, for it to update the order.

The next item in the left pane tree after Running Tasks is Loaded Modules,
which also has a LOT of useful (and somewhat mysterious) information. Click
HELP on the menu bar, and read all the topics related to the System
Information. (Things were simpler back in the Atari computer days. :)

If you have not done so already, you ought to run a full Error Checking
(CHKDSK) surface scan of the hard drive. In Command Prompt, type:
"CHKDSK /R C:" (without quotes) and press Enter key. Answer yes to run on
restart, and reboot the computer. When the scan completes it will probably
restart. (Avoid running CHKDSK when there is possibility of storm induced
power outage, or brownouts at the time people arrive home from work and all
switch their air conditioners to maximum.) Remember that if you get screen
messages during startup, you can press PAUSE/BREAK key to pause, so you can
write down the complete message, including error codes, and press CTRL+PAUSE
to resume. Another thing you should probably do right now is, hold your
WinLogo key and press Pause, for System Properties, and click Advanced
(tab), and in Startup and Recovery, click Settings, and UN-check
Automatically restart.

(Pause works in [DOS] Command Prompt also, but press Enter to resume.)

That is all I can think of concerning your current problem(s). Here are some
excerpts from previous problems in older threads, mainly SP3 issues, which
may shed some light on these matters:

25 Jan 2008 - by Harold Climer:
Last week I downloaded XP SP3 from Microsoft's site and installed it.
Not able to get Windows to boot normally The only way was able to get
things back to normal was to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the
OS from my recovery partition. I tried to install SP 3 again with a
fresh install of the OS and the same thing happened.

15 May 2008 - by Harold A Climer
Subject: Problem Downloading XP SP3 on Vista Machine.
I want to download XP SP3 and install it on my XP machine at home.
However I only have dial- up at home and the SP file is humongous.
I will have to re-format my hard drive and re-install Media Center
Edition because of some glitches, so I want the whole 550+ MB_ file.
I have a Vista machine at work, so I thought I would download it there
because I have T1 connection. However when I go to the download page
for XP SP3 the download button does not appear on the page. It is not
grayed out it is just not there. When I go to the same page on my
computer at home the download button is just where it is supposed to
be. What gives? Is there a direct link where I can download the file
on any machine?

30 May 2008 - by "Harold A Climer"
I have a HP A1520N computer with Media Center Edition 2005
installed.
It has been almost 2 years since the OS was first installed and the
system is in need of having the OS re-installed.
The system is acting a bit flaky and some programs that I have
installed are not working well or not working at all, after I
re-installed them. (After a crash)
I was wondering what was the best way to accomplish this?
BTW as far as I can tell it is not a hardware problem.

1. Should I use the recovery partition or use the recovery CD's that I
got from HP?
2. Should I uninstall all my software before I do this or just leave
it on the Hard Drives.
3. If I use the CD's does the installation program re-format the hard
drives?
Note: I have two 400Gig hard drives on this machine now
One is for data and one is for the OS and programs.

It is best to format (erase partition) and clean install Windows.
Any program installed on another drive needs to be reinstalled.
(Back up all your data from the Master drive to be safe.)

4 Aug 2008 - by Harold A Climer
Subject: Windows XP SP3 Reboot problem
Is there a version of XP SP3 that already takes into account that the
original OS image file came from a computer with an Intel CPU as
opposed to an AMD CPU that is on my Pavilion A1520N?
I tried installing XP SP3 on my Pavilion A1520N and got the
repeating re-boot problem. I finally had to reinstall the whole OS
from the recovery disks a got from HP. I do not want to have to do
that again, and I am a bit leery of fooling around with the registry.

17 Oct 2008 - by Harold A. Climer
Recently I had to re-install my OS;Windows XP Media Center Edition
2005. I also installed SP3 after using the HP patch program for
AMD processors before I installed anything else.

OK, Harold, Is that the point of success with the SP3 install? Or has there
been another install between then and now? You seem to have the correct
installation order: Install the OS, install SP3, access only the Windows
Update internet site until all security updates and other patches are
installed. The first non system software to install is antivirus/antispyware
programs. It is best to install programs one a time, and give each a good
shake down, before installing the next one. Service Packs are cumulative, so
you can upgrade directly from SP1a to SP3 without installing SP2 first. To
install SP3 you only need at least one prior service pack. SP3 needs to be
installed before any IE upgrades. You can upgrade directly from IE6 to IE8.
(Don't forget to "export" your Favorites [and any Cookies with website
preferences] before IE upgrade or downgrade.)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/

How to configure Windows XP to start in a clean boot state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx

Error message after you upgrade a computer that uses a processor other than
an Intel processor to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or to Windows XP Service
Pack 3: "STOP: 0x0000007E":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356/

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs: Computer Restarts after Displaying Stop Error
0x0000007E [after installing WinXP SP3]
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01457284
- - -

Thu May 28, 2009 - by Harold A. Climer
I have installed IE8 several times on my HP A1520N computer. It crashes
upon boot up. Luckily MS has the Fixit program to get back to IE7.
Any Ideas to what might be going on? I do not really need IE8, but
I heard that it was more stable, etc. than IE7.

IE8 Tips, Caveats and Helpful Links
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38848

Release Notes for Internet Explorer 8 - Read before installing
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/dd441788.aspx

How to Solve Internet Explorer 8 Installation Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220/

About IE7 (and higher) Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/10/11/IE7-Installation-and-Anti_2D00_Malware-Applications.aspx

About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx

Download links for IE8 Final
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=13043

IE8 recommendations from "PA Bear [MS MVP]" include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!!

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
to install it.
- - -

(Hint, hint:) How to uninstall Norton products:

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, to your desktop (do NOT Run it yet.)
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
2. Disconnect from the internet and close all programs, and reboot.
3. Uninstall Norton with Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs.
4. IMMEDIATELY enable the Windows Firewall!
5. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utility. Do
NOT touch your keyboard until the run has completed, then reboot (again).
6. Install other antivirus, such as Eset's NOD32, Kaspersky or Avast!
- - -

I'm hopefully looking forward to the resolution of all your problems. Let us
know how things work out. (Yes, I tend to write long-winded messages.)
THANKS for your time and patience.

(Triple-click here, to be of good cheer. :)
--Richard

Harold A. Climer

Hi Harold,

I have included some excerpts below from some of your previous messages,
going back a couple of years, that possibly have some clues related to your
current Excessive Hard Drive activity problem. Apparently you have had to
resort to reinstalling the Operating System (OS) on more than one occasion,
and have had Service Pack 3 (SP3) install misfires, and continue to have
various problems. But first, I noticed in one of the replies to you, quotes
from one of your messages that did not appear here, so there is possibly a
problem with your newsfeed. In your message headers, I noticed this:

You are located in Tennessee, but your messages appear to be routed through
Germany. You might have more reliable results connecting directly to the
FREE msnews.microsoft.com newsfeed. You may need to check Internet Options,
Programs (tab) to see if your newsreader is properly selected, and then
click this next line, or paste it into the address bar of Internet Explorer:

My ISP Yahoo dropped support for news groups. So from recommendations
from some of my fellow HP48 enthusiasts from comp.sys.hp48 I chose the
Usenet provider from The Free University of Berlin( Only $14.00 US per
year.)

Next, because of the complexity of your system, we need a more complete
picture of how your system is configured, in order to provide better
informed advice. At one point in the past, you described your system as
having two 400Gig hard drives, but in this thread, a 400GB drive with C and
D partitions, and the other drive, (or K partition only?) that has 300GB
with about 50GB of files.

Combining info from several past messages, the following appears to be your
current configuration, and feel free to make correction/additions:
Computer Model: HP pavilion A1520N
OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition Professional
aka. "XP MCE 2005 Rollup2" [OEM? originally SP2?] Purchased computer on August 6, 2006
Age: 3 years? (OS 1st installed "almost 2 years" before 30May2008)
BN: Build Number 2600
SP: Service Pack 3
PF: Pagefile on C drive - System managed.
RAM: 3GB
CPU: 1GHz pentium
Model Information
Model Name a1520n
Product Number EX272AA-ABA
Serial Number CNH62331XV
Software Build 63NAemMPA2
Hardware BOM 0nx111400
Software BOM NA67
Service ID 082-908
Operating System
Name Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Professional
Service Pack Service Pack 3
Build Number 2600
DirectX Version 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)
System Information
System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 061
Model EX272AA-ABA a1520n
System Serial Number CNH62331XV NA670
Total Number of Logical CPUs 2
Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB
Total Number of Optical Drives 2
Total Number of Hard Drives 3
Total Number of Video Cards 2

Note: Had problem installing SP3 because of AMD CPU. Got utility from
HP to make SP3 installation possible without Blue Screen of Death.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ CPU:0
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Current Speed(SMBIOS) 2.00 GHz
L1 Cache 128.00 kB
L2 Cache 512 bytes

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ CPU:1
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
L1 Cache 128.00 kB
L2 Cache 512 bytes

Local Disk

Hard Drive - Maxtor OneTouch USB Device
Serial Number 2HA413EB
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbstor.sys
Version 5.1.2600.0, 7-1-2001

Hard Drive - WDC WD4000KD-00NAB0
Model Number WDC WD4000KD-00NAB0
Serial Number WD-WMAMY1821890
Firmware Revision 01.06A01
Temperature 42 C
Buffer Size 16384 KB
Controller Secondary Controller - Master drive
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
Version 5.1.2535.0, 7-1-2001

Hard Drive - SAMSUNG SP2504C
Model Number SAMSUNG SP2504C
Serial Number S09QJ1FL405775
Firmware Revision VT100-38
Temperature 38 C
Buffer Size 8192 KB
Controller Secondary Controller - Master drive
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
Version 5.1.2535.0, 7-1-2001

Note the Samsung Drive was original to the computer.
I bought the Western Digital as a larger drive. I had the old drive
cloned to the new drive and reformatted the Samaung but left the
partition sizes as they were.

HP_PAVILION
Drive Letter C
Usable Hard Disk Capacity 362.08 GB
Used Hard Disk Space 188.24 GB
Unused Hard Disk Space 173.84 GB
File System NTFS

HP_RECOVERY
Drive Letter D
Usable Hard Disk Capacity 10.51 GB
Used Hard Disk Space 7.45 GB
Unused Hard Disk Space 3.06 GB
File System FAT32

DATA BACKUP
Drive Letter K
Usable Hard Disk Capacity 224.08 GB
Used Hard Disk Space 30.07 GB
Unused Hard Disk Space 194.02 GB
File System NTFS

BACKUP TWO
Drive Letter L
Usable Hard Disk Capacity 8.79 GB
Used Hard Disk Space 1.22 GB
Unused Hard Disk Space 7.57 GB
File System NTFS

OneTouch 4
Drive Letter O
Usable Hard Disk Capacity 931.51 GB
Used Hard Disk Space 420.69 GB
Unused Hard Disk Space 510.82 GB
File System NTFS
CD-ROM Drive

HP DVD Writer 1040d USB Device
Model Number HP DVD Writer 1040d
Serial Number 49111E
Firmware Revision EH23
Drive Letter M
Readable Media CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW,
DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL
Writable Media CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW,
DVD+R DL
Write Strategy TAO, SAO, RAW, RAW-MS
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbstor.sys
Version 5.1.2600.0, 7-1-2001

LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160H6S
Model Number LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160H6S
Firmware Revision CP91
Controller Master
Drive Letter E
Readable Media CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R,
DVD+RW, DVD+R DL
Writable Media CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL
Write Strategy TAO, SAO, RAW, RAW-MS
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys
Version 5.1.2535.0, 7-1-2001
Display

HP vs17 (HP vs17 flat panel monitor)
Mode 1024 x 768 (32-bit) (60 Hz)
Manufacturer Hewlett Packard
Serial Number CND6240XZD
Manufacture Date Week 24, Year 2006
Signal Type Analog
Video Card

Radeon X1300/X1550 Series
Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc.
Video Card Chip Type ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x7142)
Video Card Memory 256.00 MB
Video Card BIOS 113-A67618-105
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys
Version 8.561.0.0, 12-1-2008

Radeon X1300/X1550 Series Secondary
Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc.
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys
Version 8.561.0.0, 12-1-2008
Keyboard

Enhanced Mulmedia PS/2 Keyboard
Manufacturer HP
Driver Path c:\windows\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys
Driver Version 1.0.2.6, 1-13-2006
USB Saitek Eclipse
Pointing Device

PS/2 Compatible Mouse
Manufacturer Microsoft
Driver Provider Microsoft
Driver Path c:\windows\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys
Driver Version 5.1.2600.0, 7-1-2001
PS2 Mouse

Modem

Zoom External V92 Voice Faxmodem
Model Zoom External V92 Voice Faxmodem
Sound Card

Realtek High Definition Audio
Manufacturer Realtek
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\rtkhdaud.sys
Version 5.10.0.5854, 5-15-2009
Network Card

NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
MAC Address 00:17:31:c0:4f:54
IP Address 0.0.0.0
Current Speed 0 bps
Printers

Send To Microsoft OneNote Driver
Model Send To Microsoft OneNote Driver
Path Send To OneNote 2007

DocuCom PDF Driver
Model DocuCom PDF Driver
Path ScanSoft PDF Create!

Amyuni Document Converter 2.50
Model Amyuni Document Converter 2.50
Path Quicken PDF Printer

Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Model Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Path Microsoft XPS Document Writer

Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Driver
Model Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Driver
Path Microsoft Office Document Image Writer

HP PSC 1600 series
Model HP PSC 1600 series
Path HP PSC 1600 series

DocuCom PDF Driver
Model DocuCom PDF Driver
Path DocuCom PDF Driver

Adobe PDF Converter
Model Adobe PDF Converter
Path Adobe PDF

In one of your messages, I noticed "Weather.exe" in an error report.
Do you have weather station hardware linked to your computer?
WeaatherBug. Now that I can not get weather reports from the local
digital TV stations in Chattanooga I use this program to find out if a
tornado is heading my way.
Now, back to the current thread:

Elsewhere you referred to a system drive and a "recovery" drive. By "system
restore" do you mean your System Restore "Points" information is stored
there, or is the D drive the original computer's Recovery partition?
I mean the HP original computer's Recovery partition
Was that 1st defrag done with Norton Speed Disk or Windows defrag?
Norton

There could be a common underlying problem, or that is separate.
Do not know if related or just a coincidence that the strange disk
activity started after I defragmented the hard drives. It certainly
was not doing it before I defragmented them.
[...]

Norton Speed disk; If it does I do not know about it.
I have a copy of Diskkeeper, that a friend gave me fro Christmas,but
I have never installed it. so it can not be the same in my case.
[...]

No. Only for or sending large files as email attacments(rarely) or
donwloading programs
(Since the Windows Search includes text search within files, I'm wondering
if the Indexing service that runs in the background might also access zip
files to build a keyword index? Microsoft Office document indexing?)
I turned off indexing today. Will get back to you after a few days to
see if it makes any difference.
One thing I did notice; It seems as if most programs load a bit faster
just after a re-boot of the computer. Loading a program seems to slow
down after it has been turned on for a while. Couple of hours.
Is it possible that a program does not give back memory when it closes
down.
[...]

Also much simpler with a Commodore 64 and 128.
[...]

I have done this step three times with no errors found. I sure takes a
while with big hard drives.
That is all I can think of concerning your current problem(s). Here are some
excerpts from previous problems in older threads, mainly SP3 issues, which
may shed some light on these matters:

25 Jan 2008 - by Harold Climer:
this is when HP finally came out with a utility for computers using
AMD processors.
[...]

BTW I finally got Internet Explorer 8 to install properly from version
7. I tried it again and it worked. It sure was not anything I did
knowingly to make it work.
I will try to work on the other of your sugesstions and get back to
you; Anti virus etc.
THANKS for your time and patience.

(Triple-click here, to be of good cheer. :)
--Richard
Harold A Climer
Dept. Of Physics Geology, and Astronomy
U.T, Chattanooga
Rm. 406A Engineering, Math & Computer Science Building
615 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga TN 37403
(e-mail address removed)

Ken Blake, MVP

My ISP Yahoo dropped support for news groups. So from recommendations
from some of my fellow HP48 enthusiasts from comp.sys.hp48 I chose the
Usenet provider from The Free University of Berlin( Only $14.00 US per
year.)

I'll point out two things:

1. I see that you're using Forte Agent as your newsreader. Like almost
all newsreader, Agent will let you use multiple news servers. As did
the poster above, I recommend that you use the Microsoft server for
Microsoft newsgroups, and another server for more general newsgroups.

2. $14.00 US a year may not be much, and that server may be fine, but
let me also mention that there are excellent free servers available.
If all you need are text newsgroups, not binary ones, I recommend the
free server news.eternal-september.org.

From: Harold A. Climer <Harold-Climer AT utc DOT edu>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 11:33:46 -0400

> [...]

(Hint, hint:) How to uninstall Norton products:

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, to your desktop (do NOT Run it yet.)
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
2. Disconnect from the internet and close all programs, and reboot.
3. Uninstall Norton with Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs.
4. IMMEDIATELY enable the Windows Firewall!
5. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utility. Do
NOT touch your keyboard until the run has completed, then reboot (again).
6. Install other antivirus, such as Eset's NOD32, Kaspersky or Avast!
- - -

I'm hopefully looking forward to the resolution of all your problems. Let us
know how things work out. (Yes, I tend to write long-winded messages.)
THANKS for your time and patience.

(Triple-click here, to be of good cheer. :)
I also noticed the following using Event Explorer. There is no
warning and it happens about every minute.

0000000835: 2009-08-01 10:41:24:774 Exception <Killing CCC0
Process>: Process with an Id of 4576 is not running.
Exception Called by:
ATI.ACE.MOM.Implementation.CCC0StateMachine::KillMe processID:02908
threadID:(MOM_STM_DelegateThread) domainName:(MOM.exe )
assemblyName:(MOM.Implementation, Version=2.0.3404.40477,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)
************************************************************************************************************************

Harold A Climer
Dept. Of Physics Geology, and Astronomy
U.T, Chattanooga
Rm. 406A Engineering, Math & Computer Science Building
615 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga TN 37403
(e-mail address removed)

Richard

I also noticed the following using Event Explorer. There is no
warning and it happens about every minute.

0000000835: 2009-08-01 10:41:24:774 Exception <Killing CCC0
Process>: Process with an Id of 4576 is not running.
Exception Called by:
ATI.ACE.MOM.Implementation.CCC0StateMachine::KillMe processID:02908
threadID:(MOM_STM_DelegateThread) domainName:(MOM.exe )
assemblyName:(MOM.Implementation, Version=2.0.3404.40477,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)

I don't know what that is, but "ATI" caught my eye since I was looking at
the following Microsoft support page just before reading your message, and
it mentioned a problem with "ATI Catalyst" software related to XP Service
Pack 3. That problem had to do with rotating the desktop screen though, but
they give an address for updated drivers at the ati.amd.com web site.

Some third-party programs experience a change in functionality after you
install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309/

I'm still digesting your other recent message that further describes your
current configuration, so will get back to you later. --Richard