Re: can't print from DOS

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Printing' started by Brian Smither, Aug 8, 2003.

  1. [posted and mailed]

    This has happened (or will happen) to almost everybody.

    You said that "one day she could print from her DOS application and the
    next day she couldn't." So please research the workstation and try to come
    up with *everything* that changed between those two days.

    Did you get a new printer? A Win-Printer? What printer are/were you using?
    Did you allow any updates or patches to be applied: security, system, or
    drivers?
    Did you install any new software or upgrade any software to a newer
    version?

    If, for the life of you, you can't imagine what, if anything, may have
    changed between "one day" and "the next day", then I can only suggest you
    invest in a neat (and inexpensive) utility called DOSPRN (www.dosprn.com).
    Currently, it emulates a generic/text-only printer and the Epson ESC-P
    series of printers.

    Almost all sub-$150 printers and all USB printers do not have their own
    printer control language installed. Thus, sending a simple text stream -
    typical of DOS programs - cannot be interpreted by the printer.

    Brian Smither
    Smither Consulting

    --
    Remove INVALID from e-mail address.

    Brian Smither, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Brian Smither

    Paul Baker Guest

    I don't agree with the statement:

    > Almost all sub-$150 printers and all USB printers do not have their own
    > printer control language installed. Thus, sending a simple text stream -
    > typical of DOS programs - cannot be interpreted by the printer.

    I don't know what you mean by "do not have their own printer control
    language installed", but the vast majority of printers will take a text file
    without any printer control language, escape sequences, etc. and simply
    print the text in a default fixed width font. As I recall, this was a HP
    Laserjet of some sort. All laserjets that I know of have this capability.

    What does DOSPRN do? Surely nothing more than the DOS COPY command?

    Paul

    Paul Baker, Aug 8, 2003