Raspberry Pi 4 Released

News Raspberry Pi 4 Released

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new resource:

Raspberry Pi 4 Released - The Raspberry Pi 4 is a significant step in power compared to previous models.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation has announced the release of the Raspberry Pi 4, a tiny computer that is easily capable of running Linux and other operating systems. It is a significant upgrade over the existing model 3, featuring a boost in CPU and GPU speed, USB-C power, but most importantly it is now available with differing amounts of onboard RAM (1GB, 2GB and 4GB).

Pricing starts at £34 for the baseline 1GB model, with the 2GB (£44) and 4GB (£54) models costing a little more. Toms...

Read more about this resource...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Are you planning on getting one?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure - I'd like one, but I've already got 3 x RPi's in use at the moment, so it may only be a matter of time before I need another one ;).

Funnily enough, if this came out just a couple of months ago, I'd have bought it. However, I went for an NVIDIA Jetson Nano when I needed another SBC.

What about you?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I don't really have a use for one tbh. The zero I use to monitor my broadband is the only one I have here. I could upgrade that but it's not really worth it. Part of the appeal of the zero is that it's powered by a usb socket in the router.

Would be fun to play with if I had more time though.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
They are already making use of the new Pi.

Latest Pi-top is a Raspberry Pi 4-based mini-PC

Pi-top announced a “Pi-top [4]” mini-PC based on the new Raspberry Pi 4 with an integrated OLED display, a battery, and a dozen component modules ranging from sensor to potentiometers.

This is a really neat addition to the series.

The Raspberry Pi 4 SBC is equipped with a new Broadcom BCM2711 SoC with 4x Cortex-A72 cores clocked to 1.5GHz, delivering two to four times the performance of the RPi 3B+. It’s available with up to 4GB LPDDR4, and offers native GbE and dual 4K-ready micro-HDMI ports.

Two of the four USB host ports are USB 3.0, and a USB Type-C port replaces the micro-USB. Other features are the same as the 3B+ including 802.11ac and Bluetooth (now v5.0) and the same starting $35 price with 1GB.

:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I was e-mailed about this and this new model does look good so out of interest I looked to see how much the 4Gb version was (the model with the most RAM) and it was £54. But it was sold out (2 days ago).

And with that you'll need some accessories like case, PSU. memory card etc which would likely make the whole setup cost around £100. The Pi isn't so cheap anymore. Having said that they're still a very economical option for many applications imo.

Every time I see a new Pi released I want to buy one but I really have no use for one cos my current machine stable is:

Two main desktop computers.
Old Socket A machine loaded with Win 98 and old games.
An ageing Netbook loaded with an SSD which I only use for programming amplifiers.

All of which meet my needs admirably.

Oh, I have a phone as well but as I seem to have a phone phobia I only ever use it for phone calls and the occasional text ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
And with that you'll need some accessories like case, PSU. memory card etc which would likely make the whole setup cost around £100. The Pi isn't so cheap anymore. Having said that they're still a very economical option for many applications imo.

The Pi Hut has a series 4 power supply for £8, a 16 GB sd card preinstalled with Raspian for £8, and the official case for £5. Seems pretty cheap to me.
So at £75 for a 4 GB Pi 4 with case, power supply, and os you would get a pc that would be a match for a lot of laptops costing several hundred pounds. An it would cost pennies to run. You would need a monitor of course, but most modern tv's would be usable today. You can even hook up two screens as standard.
An at £56 for the basic model that is a lot of computing for peanuts. IMHO.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with you Abarbarian, I'm glad you've posted the prices though the accessory prices I saw on my link were higher than those.

Would the sound play through a TV? I know most monitors have internal speakers that can be driven from a computer. If not then a pair of powered speakers will also be required.

I've always fancied one of these in a laptop case and they are available though I'm not sure if laptop cases to accommodate a Mk 4 are available yet. The cases I've seen come with keyboard, screen and touch pad for mouse functions and imo would make a nifty little machine.

But as stated I really don't need one.

Out of curiosity can Windows be run on a Pi? I ask as the only thing I use my Netbook for is programming amplifiers and all the various apps I use for that only run in Windows.

And I've just had an email letting me know the 4Gb models are in stock again.

Ask a Question