Random restarts, advice please!!

Reaction score
Bought a new pc, spec as follows:

Athlon (Venice) XP 3800+
2 GB RAM DDR 400Mhz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB (single card)
ASUS A8V-VM M/B
SB Audigy
PSU = 300W

I installed the software myself, i.e. XP 2003 Pro, Office 2003 Pro and some virus software including a firewall. Everything is patched up to date, including all virus definitions.

First two weeks were ok, no problem. I believe the problems started when I updated the graphic card drivers to 91.31 from ??

I kept getting random restarts, not during a game, but when opening IE, or Windows explorer. Also, got one opening the DVD drive. Every half hour or so.

I searched the web consistently. So much diverse advice! Could be the PSU, a faulty Graphics card (GC), bad drivers, corrupt RAM, overheating etc.

Every case seems to have differrent symptons, so I am hoping if I post mine, someone may have had exactly the same thing happen to them!

The error I got reads:

BCCode : 1000007f BCP1 : 00000008 BCP2 : 80042000 BCP3 : 00000000

BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

When I sent the result to MS they said it was a faulty video driver.

I have checked the RAM with memcheck and it seems fine. I ran Prim95 today for half hour, seemed fine. I did however start browsing the net whilst it was going, it rebooted with the same problem!

I have also tried adjusting the latency of the RAM, no difference. When I changed the drivers to 84.21, it seems far more stable, but still will crash once/twice a night. Taking MS' advice, I have lowered the hardware accleration one notch and so far, so good.... but has only been an hour!

However, I haven't bought a new pc, if I have turn the acceleration down and run on old drivers!

I am seriously considering getting a much better power supply, 400W +. However, even though it is widely touted as a solution, I have never read anyone who said...'changed the supply and everything works now..', so I am dubious.

I don't believe it is an overheating problem, as the pc is brand new. My inclination is either faulty RAM or faulty/underated PSU. Actually, I keep changing my mind!!?

One thing is that it rebooted due to the DVD tray opengin which I believe suggests it IS the PSU. IS that a reasonable assumption?

Also, do never graphic card drivers, draw more power? If so, that would support the theory I guess!?

Please, please, any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex

Ask a Question