Ram Question

Reaction score
im looking to put more ram into my computer which is a dell 4300 1.6 Ghz, i want another 256. the ram it uses is pc133 SDram at 133mhz, however, when i look on the dell website to see the exact kind needed it says it is 164-pin, but wherever i look i see the same ram but 168-pin, are they lying? what's the deal? will 168-pin be fine?

the dell site shows the ram here:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/Pro...=CADHS1&mnfname=&brand=&ModelSelection=124585

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
according to crucial, the 4300 will take 168 pin RAM

i think its a typo but i'd call dell to make sure

ok you did it while i was typing

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,
All computers that use PC 100 or 133 SD ram will have 168 pin slots (Known as dimms, dual inline memory modules)
If you check the manual that came with your computer and can find out the name of the motherboard, you can go to the crucial website and do a search to find the ram compatable with that board. I would recommend you use either crucial or Kingston ram, there are cheaper but you will have to take a chance it will work.
If you are in the UK a good place to buy computer components online is www.ebuyer.co.uk, it will be much cheaper than you can buy in stores.
If you do not know how to check if the new ram has been added, get back to me and I will tell you how.

Ask a Question