ram & graphic card swaping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an old PC that the motherboard has died on and I want to put the RAM and graphics card from it into another PC's.

On checking the internet, it says that only AMD ram can go into another AMD motherboard and only INTEL ram go into another INTEL motherboard, is this right?

The mother board that the ram/graphic card is from is NVIDIA NFORCE2 MCP (AMD I think).

The ram is KINGSTON KVR 400X64C3A/1G and KVR 4OOX64C3A/512

If this is the case is the graphics card from the NVIDIA NFORCE2 MCP also AMD specific? Or can I put it onto a INTEL motherboard?

The graphics card is GeFORCE FX5900xt D128M.

Many thanks
Dawn

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCReview

only AMD ram can go into another AMD motherboard and only INTEL ram go into another INTEL motherboard, is this right?
nope, it is not right, neither make RAM anyway. ;)

Only nVidia make nVidia cards, however AMD now produce ATI cards but they ain't Intel / AMD motherbard spacific ... in other words, if the MB is has the right "spec" video card slot (PCI-e / AGP) then it don't mater who makes what.

What motherboard is the new one ?

:user:

Reaction score
i ran a program "everest" to find the name/chipset of the motherboard in the new PC and it's come up as unknown. (Great!)

But the existing graphics card is a RADEON XPRESS 1200 SERIES 256

Does this help?

muckshifter

Reaction score
dawncyprus said:
i ran a program "everest" to find the name/chipset of the motherboard in the new PC and it's come up as unknown. (Great!)

But the existing graphics card is a RADEON XPRESS 1200 SERIES 256

Does this help?
err, no, not really. That actually sounds like a "built-on" video chip to the motherboard. you have me slightly confused.

Need to know what MB is so we can deduce what you can throw at it ... there is a way to identify most MBs, it's called the "lookatit method" of identification. ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
dawncyprus said:
Its a ASROCK QUAD CORE CPU - 4 CRE 1333 FULL HD - KENTSFIELD

I found this site and it looks like the one, http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4core1333-fullhd

Has it got a built on video chip as you mentioned?

Thanks
Dawn
Yes, it has ... Integrated ATI™ X1250 graphics, shared memory 512MB, however, the MB also has a PCI Express x16 slot for a better dedicated graphics card.

That Arsefrock is not a flavour of the month for me, cheap-n-cheerful is what I would call them. ;)

Buy new memory, at least 2mb worth put details in here will help you find the right stuff & price.

good luck

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help.

This PC only has about 1.75mb of ram at the moment, what with that and the integrated graphics card no wonder it's not as good as my other PC's.

So if this PC has a PCI Express x16 slot is it worth putting the GeFORCE FX5900xt D128M graphics card in? Will it make a difference?

Is it compatible?

And can I use the KINGSTON KVR 400X64C3A/1G and KVR 4OOX64C3A/512 ram I already have?

Many thanks
Dawn

muckshifter

Reaction score
no, your old memory is DDR, read that as DDR1 the newer MB uses DDR2 ... you also should not be able to "fit" it as the notch will/should be in the wrong place.

Buy new, extra ram. :)

The GeFORCE FX5900xt will fit, should be a bit better than the on-board, and free up some memory, as for how much of an improvement you will get, I don't know ... a minimum I think these days would be the 9800, although I'm out of the loop on what is the "entry" level graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question