Quick Launch

I let my grandson use my computer and the quick launch toolbar is no longer accesiible. I right click "properties" at the bottom of the screen, check the "quick launch" option, then click "apply" and OK.

When I then rignt click "toolbars" and check "quick launch" I get the error :
"Cannot create folder".

Any help is appreciated.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

Does this folder exist?

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Quick Launch

If not, create it (file/new/folder), then retry creating the Quick Launch
bar.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

A J Ricaud said:
I let my grandson use my computer and the quick launch toolbar is no
longer accesiible. I right click "properties" at the bottom of the screen,
check the "quick launch" option, then click "apply" and OK.

Carrie Garth

| "A J Ricaud" <A J (e-mail address removed)>
| wrote in message | I let my grandson use my computer and the quick launch toolbar
| is no longer accesiible. I right click "properties" at the bottom of
| the screen, check the "quick launch" option, then click "apply"
| and OK.
|
| When I then rignt click "toolbars" and check "quick launch" I get the
| error : "Cannot create folder". Any help is appreciated.

If the resolution posted by "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" to create a new
Quick Launch folder does not solve the problem, then...

According to many posts by "Ramesh [MVP]", this problem may
be cause by Blazefind or any other malware (that modifies the
"Userinit" registry value). For more information use Google
Advanced Groups Search to search for:

Ramesh Userinit "Quick Launch"

Google Advanced Groups Search
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

For detailed removal instructions for Blazefind see the following
Trend Micro (an antivirus and Internet content security software
and services company) web site:, see:

TREND MICRO - Security Information - TROJ_BLAZEFIND_A
http://it.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/security_info/ve_detail.php?Vname=TROJ_BLAZEFIND.A

Note: On the aforementioned web page make certain that you click
on the hyperlink to "Additional Windows ME/XP Cleaning
Instructions" and follow those steps, too.

"Welcome Back Quick Launch Toolbar!"

Ok People here goes and from what I understand this is the silver bullet to the Quick Launch gone missing dilemma

Go to: http://www.criticalnexus.com/resources/

and click on the winxp_cannot_create_toolbar.reg and download the reg file use this regedit to fix your problem and you should be set.

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

From what I'm to understand seems that adaware/search & destroy people were overzelous in their registry editing efforts and they helped to remove an essential key

Enjoy!

Wish I could take credit for this, but unfortunately I can't. Koudos to the person that found the fix! Job Well Done!