Questions regarding Remote Desktop Connection

I have received the following queries from a customer on remote desktop.
please assist in responding.
1. What is the Security on Remote Desktop Connection?
2. When sharing an application or system how many users can use at once in
Remote Desktop Connection?
3. How many parallel Remote Desktop Connection functions can run to a remote
machines?
4. What are the differences in Remote Desktop connections between Windows
Vista & Windows XP?

Sooner Al [MVP]

Jagdeep said:
I have received the following queries from a customer on remote desktop.
please assist in responding.
1. What is the Security on Remote Desktop Connection?
2. When sharing an application or system how many users can use at once in
Remote Desktop Connection?
3. How many parallel Remote Desktop Connection functions can run to a
remote
machines?
4. What are the differences in Remote Desktop connections between Windows
Vista & Windows XP?

These may answer your security question.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=979332&SiteID=17

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...f53d-4e86-ac9b-29fd6146977b1033.mspx?mfr=true

If the Remote Desktop host is running Vista Ultimate/Business/Enterprise or
XP Pro the desktop on the host, ie. the PC your remotely
accessing/controlling, is locked out to other users. Otherwise you need to
run a Terminal Server on a Windows 2008 (in beta) or Windows 2003 Server.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280828/en-us

The big difference between Vista and XP Remote Desktop connections is that
with Vista you can use server authentication, Network Level Authentication
(NLA), between the Vista host or Windows 2008 server and the Vista client.
NLA support is not currently included in the XP RDP 6 client.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=925876

More help/information...

The Terminal Services team blog...

http://blogs.msdn.com/ts/

The TechNet Terminal Services forum...

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=580&SiteID=17

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Sooner Al [MVP]

Sooner Al said:
[...]

I forgot to add that speaking from strictly a home user standpoint I always
recommend running Remote Desktop through a VPN or Secure Shell (SSH) tunnel
mainly because you can use authentication with a certificate or
private/public key pair protected by a strong password versus a password
(strong or otherwise). I believe the general consensus of the Terminal
Server MVPs on the microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services news group is
similar.

For home users my personal preference is a SSH tunnel simply because its
very easy to setup and use...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

My question is simple but related to this. I am running at home a mix of
Windows XP Pro and Windows Vista Ultimate (7 clients) and fail to get remote
desktop working on the local LAN. No servers involved. All software updated
.... genuine software only

I enable the Firewall and allow RDP (any version) not NLA support .... What
am I missing ... is there a KB support article that someone can point to. I
must be missing something here - surely.

Sooner Al [MVP]

"RDP Frustrations on Vista" <RDP Frustrations on
My question is simple but related to this. I am running at home a mix of
Windows XP Pro and Windows Vista Ultimate (7 clients) and fail to get
remote
desktop working on the local LAN. No servers involved. All software
updated
... genuine software only

I enable the Firewall and allow RDP (any version) not NLA support ....
What
am I missing ... is there a KB support article that someone can point to.
must be missing something here - surely.

Perhaps a bit more information may be in order...

* Are you trying to connect from XP to Vista or vice versa or from XP to
both XP and Vista and from Vista to both XP and Vista?

* In a mixed network make sure you have the Vista host configured like
this...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/ScreenShots/XP/RDP6-XPClienttoVistaServerConfig.jpg

....and *ALL* clients configured like this...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/ScreenShots/XP/RDP6-XPClientSettings.jpg

* Verify the service is running and the host is actually listening on each
RDP host.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.o...pSetupandTroubleshooting.html#Troubleshooting

* Make sure you can ping each PC by its local private LAN IP. If you can try
connecting by its private LAN IP. It is *NOT* a valid test to call a PC from
another PC on the same LAN using the public IP of your firewall/router...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/TroubleshootingDiagrams/Basic.html

* Are you trying to 'browse' for RDP hosts? Normally browsing does not work
unless you make this registry hack.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281307

* Some folks report issues with NAV worm protection and OneCare Live
blocking incoming RDP requests if not configured correctly. I have also seen
reports of a Cisco VPN client causing issues...

* Beyond all of that what exactly do you see as far as error messages when
you try to connect from a client to a host over your local LAN?