Question on CD Burning (data files not music)

I have Windows XP Pro. When I upgraded to this, I lost my old/former CD
burning software, so the only thing I have now is the XP burning thing. I
just burned some files (photos) to a CD -- it worked. HOWEVER.....I just
tried to go back and burn some more photos to the same disk and it will not
allow me to!

Does this "inbred" XP burning software only allow you to burn files one
time?? Will it not allow me to go back and keep adding/burning files to the
same disk until it runs out of space?? I can't believe I just wasted a whole
good disk on nothing!! Please help if I'm doing something wrong!! Thanks!

RioKhanada

Well first of all if you are using Cd-R disks to burn with...no burning
software will allow you to go back and burn more stuff on the leftover cd
space...however if you use a Cd-Rw you can re-burn over the data multiple
times so get back to me whith what you are using so i can help :)

Harry Ohrn

Most CD writing software including XP's built in burning software will allow
you to multi-session write.

Ah!! Weird -- I could have sworn (and please forgive my lack of techie
knowledge!!) :) that I used to be able to keep adding to my other CD-R's (I
used to have DIRECT CD until the upgrade)!!!

You were right -- the CD I have is CD-R. So....CD-R's are one-time deals,
while CD-RWs are multiple?? Is there any software that will allow me to keep
"burning" to the disk until I am sure it is full so I can then burn (and not
waste a whole disk)?

Now....I have tried to LOOK at the stuff I had burned before prior to my
upgrade and I cannot see ANY of my files. Is XP also not letting me see
that?? Or have I been a complete goon, thinking the stuff was burned, and
really it wasn't (I will shoot myself).

Dajan

Dont understand the reply, I use the XP burner to keep backing up data etc
on CD R disks with no problem

Yet again I haven't come by any burning software capable of going back onto a
cd-r and burning on it again....however i could be wrong. But I do know that
if no folders or file date what-so-ever is appearing from the disk that you
"supposuvly" burned...then u may not have formatted it to copy the data you
were wanting originally on the cd. If you have any other comments or concers
just go ahead and ask for my email :)

Michael Stevens

EliTe said:
Yet again I haven't come by any burning software capable of going
back onto a cd-r and burning on it again....however i could be wrong.
But I do know that if no folders or file date what-so-ever is
appearing from the disk that you "supposuvly" burned...then u may not
have formatted it to copy the data you were wanting originally on the
cd. If you have any other comments or concers just go ahead and ask
for my email :)

Every burning program I have ever used will allow adding files until the
CD-R disk is full. It is called multi-session. There are also packet writing
applications that will use both CD-R and CDRW. Roxio Drag to Disk is one and
Direct CD before it also had this capability.
The OP may have mixed data with binary files. This will close the CD to
further additional files added to the CD. A CD-R and CDRW will both be
allowed to add files as long as the media is not mixed. Other third party
burning applications will do both.
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
(e-mail address removed)

Dave

Normally I use a programme called "NTI CD & DVD-Maker" to make File and/or
Drive Back-ups. Which will enable separate multiple burns (on different
dates).
However, out of curiosity I tried XP's inbuilt CD Writer with a CD-R disk.
The initial burn went fine but after I exited the programme I could not
re-enter the XP's CD Writer for a second additional burn.
As far as I can see, providing you don't leave the CD Writer you can make a
second burn but if you exit the CD Writer it's not possible upon re-entry
into CD Writer to make additional burns.
Dave

news:[email protected]...

Alex Nichol

EliTe said:
Well first of all if you are using Cd-R disks to burn with...no burning
software will allow you to go back and burn more stuff on the leftover cd
space..

No. If you burn a session that uses part of a CD-R you can go back
and burn another on the unused part, making a 'Multisession' disk. To
do this with the inbuilt burning, put the CD in the drive *first* and
open it in Explorer. You will then see files on it and an area of
Files waiting to be written, where you can add by drag/drop. Then Write
Files to CD will write the second session

Alex Nichol

EliTe said:
Yet again I haven't come by any burning software capable of going back onto a
cd-r and burning on it again....however i could be wrong

You are.

Alex Nichol

Michael said:
The OP may have mixed data with binary files. This will close the CD to
further additional files added to the CD. A CD-R and CDRW will both be
allowed to add files as long as the media is not mixed. Other third party
burning applications will do both.

Binary files are OK. It is Audio CDs that are closed after burning;
this is because this is needed for most domestic CD Players, Walkmans
and so on

Steve Shattuck

Ah!! Weird -- I could have sworn (and please forgive my lack of techie
knowledge!!) :) that I used to be able to keep adding to my other CD-R's
(I
used to have DIRECT CD until the upgrade)!!!

Yes, but Direct CD writes UDF format CD-RW disks which require special
software, and create disks that behave the same way as a floppy or HD. XP's
CD Writing feature simply writes permanently, and although it may (I don't
use it so I can't say for sure) write multisession CD's if you don't
finalize them, this isn't the same as a what DirectCD creates. For more
info, search UDF on the web, or look for DirectCD or InCD or many other
UDF-compatible drivers.

OK! Wow -- so much info! Thanks everyone. Now, how do I do this (the
multi-session)? I did just as you said below but I still get an error
message that reads: "Windows does not support this CD-R format. Please
enter another disk". I really appreciate everyone's input!

NobodyMan

Well first of all if you are using Cd-R disks to burn with...no burning
software will allow you to go back and burn more stuff on the leftover cd
space...however if you use a Cd-Rw you can re-burn over the data multiple
times so get back to me whith what you are using so i can help :)
Wrong. CDRs allow multi-session writing, meaning after you have done
a single session you can pop the CDR back into the writer and write a
second session. Continuing to do this will cause a drop in total
available space, as every session burned come with some overhead
space.

You can continue to do this until the CDR is full, OR you decide to
close the CDR to further writing.

Gee, I would expect a kid with a name like EliTe to know this.

Dave

Nobodyman, from your message
I gather you and
others don't believe contributors when they say they can't achieve a second
independent burn with MS's CD Writer on a CD-R. Well now you have visual
proof!
As for not wanting it on your HD, I would have thought that you have enough
sense (and know how) to delete it after viewing but apparently I was wrong.
Dave

Dave

Nobodyman, I don't know why but my last message was removed from the server
So I will repeat it.
From your message I

RioKhanada said:
OK! Wow -- so much info! Thanks everyone. Now, how do I do this (the
multi-session)? I did just as you said below but I still get an error
message that reads: "Windows does not support this CD-R format. Please
enter another disk". I really appreciate everyone's input!

What had you made the previous burn with? You have to use the inbuilt
burning exclusively for that to work, or use one of the third party
programs like Nero, exclusively. If you use a CD that had say been
formatted in one of the packet writing programs,, In CD, Direct CD etc,
Windows burning will have none of it

Hi Alex!

I used the inbuilt burning system. I'm going to try and do a new burn later
on tonight (using the inbuilt system) to see what happens (if I can
multi-session). I just hate the thought of wasting another disk if it
doesn't work.

Now that you mention 3rd-party software.....prior to upgrading, I mentioned
I had DIRECT CD as my burning software (no longer). But I did burn several
data disks with that --- now that I try to look at them again, the XP inbuilt
system won't read it. I gather from your post below that it won't....is
there ANY way I can read that old info?? I had TONS of data/info backed up
on there that now I can't get to. Will I be forced to buy 3rd party software
to be able to retrieve it?? And...someone here suggested a free burner
called CD Burner XP Pro -- anyone else use it? Would I be able to read these
old disks with that? Thanks again -- and since I'm rather new to all this, I
apologize if any of my questions are outside the realm of this forum!!

RioKhanada