Question about Vista keys

I work for a Fortune 500 Company. We have an MSDN + Software Assurance
agreement, plus various Technet deals. I received several keys for Vista and
I want to understand how they work and why so many keys.

I have a key for Ultimate, a key for Business, then I have 2 keys that say
"Vista KMS" and "Vista MAK"

What's the deal? Obviously the different versions have different keys, but
what are the MAK and KMS? Incidentally, the KMS key works to activate Vista
Enterprise.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Jim
So you have keys for MSDN media and you have keys for Volume media
The Ultimate Key is for MSDN media for installing the Windows Vista
Ultimate Edition
The Business Key is for MSDN media for installing the Windows Vista
Business Edition
The MAK and KMS keys are for Volume License media.
Before using either the KMS key or the MAK key you should read the volume
licensing documentation that is available:
This article points to multiple links that contain a wealth of information
on Windows Vista.
929712 Volume Activation information for Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929712

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?amltIGQ=?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Question about Vista keys
|>Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:19:03 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>I work for a Fortune 500 Company. We have an MSDN + Software Assurance
|>agreement, plus various Technet deals. I received several keys for Vista
and
|>I want to understand how they work and why so many keys.
|>
|>I have a key for Ultimate, a key for Business, then I have 2 keys that
say
|>"Vista KMS" and "Vista MAK"
|>
|>What's the deal? Obviously the different versions have different keys,
but
|>what are the MAK and KMS? Incidentally, the KMS key works to activate
Vista
|>Enterprise.

thank you.... wow, so if i read this right, EVERY key will have an activation
limit? and that limit can be increased by contacting MS or using the
licensing website?