Question about "Search" function

sheana

Hi,

I know I shouldn't post to this forum, but I am desperate. I have Windows 7,
64-bit OS. I jumped to this over Vista from Win XP. The Search function is
completely different. I am trying to find the "index.dat" file, and search
turns up nothing. I go into Windows Explorer and I can't find the History
file/folder, and it doesn't have the option to point to different drives.
Can someone help me find my index.dat file, favorites file, and explain how
to use the Search function in this OS? Thanks in advance.

housetrained

press your windows start key [second from left bottom row] and just type
index.dat

--
John the West Ham fan

(e-mail address removed)
<><
"The mind is like a parachute,
it works best when it is open." - Frank Zappa

R. C. White

Hi, Sheana.
I know I shouldn't post to this forum,

This is not a Forum; it's a newsgroup. But, sad to say, Microsoft has
announced that (1) there will be NO newsgroups for Windows 7, and (2) ALL
Microsoft public newsgroups - and the msnews.microsoft.com news server -
will be closed by October. Microsoft says that there will be no MS NGs for
peer-to-peer support, only Forums in the future. So go to
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

and find the ones that you need. Until it actually closes, THIS Vista
newsgroup is about as good as it gets for Win7 questions.
I have Windows 7, 64-bit OS. I jumped to this over Vista from Win XP. The
Search function is completely different.
Correct!

I am trying to find the "index.dat" file,

It doesn't exist in Win7.
Can someone... explain how to use the Search function in this OS?

It's either VERY easy - or very hard.

Step 1 is to turn it on, if it isn't already. In Control Panel | Programs
and Features, on the left sidebar, click "Turn Windows features on or off".
On the next screen, do NOT check "Indexing Service"; despite its
right-sounding name, this is for an older service that doesn't work well in
Win7. But scroll way down to Windows Search and be sure that box is
checked. (It should be checked, by default.)

Then just give it some time. Search works in the background, jumping out of
the way whenever we do anything in the foreground, so it can take several
days to build the original Index, especially if we have many files and
folders and if we don't give the computer much downtime but turn it off as
soon as we finish actively using it. If we insist, we can click Control
Panel | Indexing Options and tweak the settings to fit our own system and
way of working. But, as I said, it's either easy or VERY hard. If we start
tweaking before we really understand how Search works, we may spend days and
end up with worse results than before. And we may have to let it REbuild
the Index a few times. It may be best to just live with the defaults for a
week or two before we try to "improve" it.

I've not found a good tutorial on how to use Search. I tried, even during
the beta, and finally have it working OK but not great. Some of its quirks
bug me a lot, such as its refusal to search in .pub files, so I can't search
all those Rotary newsletters that I produced with Publisher a few years ago.
And it takes some tweaking to search the contents of .eml and ..nws files.

Good luck! I think you'll like Win7 - and many users also have high praise
for Search. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"sheana" wrote in message
Hi,

I know I shouldn't post to this forum, but I am desperate. I have Windows 7,
64-bit OS. I jumped to this over Vista from Win XP. The Search function is
completely different. I am trying to find the "index.dat" file, and search
turns up nothing. I go into Windows Explorer and I can't find the History
file/folder, and it doesn't have the option to point to different drives.
Can someone help me find my index.dat file, favorites file, and explain how
to use the Search function in this OS? Thanks in advance.

R. C. White

Hi, Dave.

Thanks for the correction.

Like Sheana, I got NO hits when I tried this earlier. But now I see a full
page of "index.dat" files! I must have turned on some switch since I tried
earlier.

RC
--

"Dave-UK" wrote in message

R. C. White said:
Hi, Sheana.

This is not a Forum; it's a newsgroup. But, sad to say, Microsoft has
announced that (1) there will be NO newsgroups for Windows 7, and (2) ALL
Microsoft public newsgroups - and the msnews.microsoft.com news server -
will be closed by October. Microsoft says that there will be no MS NGs
for peer-to-peer support, only Forums in the future. So go to
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

and find the ones that you need. Until it actually closes, THIS Vista
newsgroup is about as good as it gets for Win7 questions.

It doesn't exist in Win7.

I think you'll find it does, I've got multiple index.dat files on my Win7.
They are hidden files.

Nil

It doesn't exist in Win7.

Yes, it does. It's a component of Internet Explorer and will be found
on every computer that runs IE, regardless of OS. I also find some
other programs that user their own file called "index.dat". MS Office
is one of them, apparently.

R. C. White

Hi, Nil.

Yes, as I said to Dave earlier. I was focused on the Search function in
Win7 and when I searched my "Search" folder tree, I found no "Index.dat"
there. So I should have said there's no Index.dat in Win7's Search, rather
than none in all of Win7.

I'm glad you and Dave corrected my misstatement.

RC
--

"Nil" wrote in message
It doesn't exist in Win7.

Yes, it does. It's a component of Internet Explorer and will be found
on every computer that runs IE, regardless of OS. I also find some
other programs that user their own file called "index.dat". MS Office
is one of them, apparently.

sheana

1. What is the difference between a forum and a newsgroup?

2. I thought the MS Newsgroups were going to continue, only that the MS
Newserver was discontinued. Are the newgroups going to disappear in October
as well?

Thanks in advance.

Nil

1. What is the difference between a forum and a newsgroup?

A "forum" is usually considered to be a private discussion group that
is not replicated on other servers. More recently, "forum" often refers
to web forums, accessible only through a web interface.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum>

A "newsgroup" is a discussion group that is accessible through NNTP
(Network News Transfer Protocol) and is viewed with a newsreader
program such as Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Agent, Xnews, etc. It
usually refers to the global newsgroup servers network Usenet, but
there are private news servers as well.

2. I thought the MS Newsgroups were going to continue, only that
the MS Newserver was discontinued. Are the newgroups going to
disappear in October as well?

Yes to the former, no to the latter. The newsgroups will continue on
Usenet without Microsoft's participation.

R. C. White

Hi, John.

Please define "retrieves" in this context.

Does it search the CONTENTS of your .pub files?

I've been trying to get this to work for several years. Since my 3 years as
editor of our weekly newsletter ended about 5 years ago, all those files are
getting so old that this search doesn't matter much anymore. But it's
frustrating to know that certain words (names, mostly) are in there but
Windows Search says there are no hits. I'm pretty sure that I found the
proper filter for .pub at some point a few years ago, but with later updates
of hardware and software, I lost that filter somehow.

Do you have the filter for .pub files? Or know where I can find it?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(e-mail address removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP
Windows Live Mail 2010 (15.3.2804.0607) in Win7 Ultimate x64

"housetrained" wrote in message

also it retrieves ALL my .pub files!

Retroman

[snip] ... I got NO hits when I tried this earlier. But now I see a
full page of "index.dat" files! I must have turned on some
switch since I tried earlier.

Hello R.C.

I think I know the answer. The index.dat files are stored in subfolders
of each user's AppData folder, which is normally excluded from searches,
even when using the Everywhere option. If I first navigate to AppData in
Windows Explorer and then search on

name:index.dat

then the files come up, all eight of them. I do not have to use Advanced
Search. However, as Dave-UK mentioned, they are hidden files so the
option to show those must be enabled in the View tab of the Folder Options
dialog.

Doug M. in NJ

R. C. White

Hi, Retroman.
then the files come up, all eight of them.

Eight? I got 26 of them just now! And that was just with the Start key and
"index.dat" (no quotes). No "Advanced Search".

The mysteries of Windows Search are much too deep for me, even after 30+
years of computing, 8 years as an MVP, and participating in both the Vista
and Win7 betas. And, of course, adjusting Folder Options is always one of
the first things I do when installing or reinstalling Windows. The default
settings just don't make sense for most of us. :<{

RC
--

"Retroman" wrote in message

[snip] ... I got NO hits when I tried this earlier. But now I see a
full page of "index.dat" files! I must have turned on some
switch since I tried earlier.

Hello R.C.

I think I know the answer. The index.dat files are stored in subfolders
of each user's AppData folder, which is normally excluded from searches,
even when using the Everywhere option. If I first navigate to AppData in
Windows Explorer and then search on

name:index.dat

then the files come up, all eight of them. I do not have to use Advanced
Search. However, as Dave-UK mentioned, they are hidden files so the
option to show those must be enabled in the View tab of the Folder Options
dialog.

Doug M. in NJ

Gene E. Bloch

[...]

I've had satisfactory results with Super Finder XT
http://fsl.sytes.net/products.html

It's fast enough for me and it will search inside files.