Quads IBM Thinkpad T43

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Quad, I'm thinking of getting a Thinkpad - now you've had yours a while, how are you getting on with it?
Are there any upgrades you wish you'd ordered now you've got it, and are there any extras you'd recommend?:)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Adywebb, I assume you are contemplating the same model which is 2668F3G and if so, I must urge you to go for additional 512 stick to have a total 1 GB Ram as I noticed that this baby needs 100 MB more once you are on desktop compared to my previous model T41. Multitasking gets a bit difficult with only 150-175 available when you are on the desktop without any programs open.

I will be getting the extra stick since when I got the laptop there was no stock of Ram with the supplier.

All in all this is a good machine but only thing that actually bothered me was that it gets a bit more warm than the previous model. However this can be corrected with proper power management features built in. The power is surely there but at a slight disadvantage of extra warm sides and bottom. I have been playing with the power management feature built in and I think it works pretty well to balance the noise, temperature and performance. You can customise the thing for different applications and should be OK.

Some folks say that the T42 is better in that respect. I have not tested the T42 against the T43 so I personally cannot say if it is a bad deal or not. The machine itself has the same feel and performance which I have come to expect from the IBM T Series. It really depends on the usage and how taxing the workload is on the laptop. Some people mentioned about the palm rest getting a bit hot to touch, to be honest I did not think so, on the forums people do exagerate and one has to understand and read between the lines.

Please let me know if you need any specific information and I will oblige, in the end it is important that you make the right decision for yourself and if I can be instrumental in it, I will feel happy for you.

The last recommendation to you was the Puccini and I think you are not disappointed so I am hoping this time you also have the same feeling about concluding the deal :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed reply Quad, and the Puccini is still giving immense pleasure!:thumb:

The reason why I asked is that there seems to be numerous variations/models of the T43 on the Lenovo UK site, that its difficult to work out which would be most suitable:confused:

Trying to get my head round it now, but I may come back to you for some more advice....:)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
No probelms, I am standing by for any queries you may have and will try best to give you as unbiased advise as I possibly can. :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Not as yet, been busy at work all week and away this weekend cos my Dads ill :( - hopefully I will get round to it this week..:thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Dad's illness :( It's important that you attend to his needs. May he get well soon.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks Quad, unfortunately he has terminal cancer so he is in permanent decline...:(

Ask a Question