Puppy Linux

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I must admit to knowing NOTHING about Linux, other than it is an alternative to Windows. My Windows system works fine so there is no incentive for me to change - and as a non-techy it would be a hassle anyway.
nod.gif

However, I came across THIS and it seemed like a way of getting into my PC if Windows failed for any reason.

I wondered what other members felt about this and whether anyone feels it is worthwhile pursuing. Or are there other, simpler, ways of dealing with Windows failures? I suspect that it is perhaps not a brilliant idea afterall as I usually feel that if something is fantastic everyone would be using it. There are no threads here in PCR about it that I can find.

Anyone got any strong feelings on this?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I downloaded this several weeks ago, but with the intention of trying it out on an elderly laptop. Other stuff came up in-between though, which diverted me a bit, so haven't yet had the opportunity to try it out. I read up on it HERE where there is quite a lot of additional info - if that helps at all? Just bookmarked your link :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... are there other, simpler, ways of dealing with Windows failures?
well yes ...

Never leave ANYTHING of importance on any computer, then, providing you ain't got a hardware failure, a clean reinstall is one of the best. ;)

However, if you have lost access to the PC, and, left important data on it, you'll try anything to get it back. :D

:wave:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
That looks like a cool linux version if you want ot use it as a on the go type for moving between different pc's.

The Kanotix distro that I have started a thread on will run from a live cd and will enable you to access your windows partitions. You can read and write to NFTS windows partitions and can rescue information from them and transfer it to a pen drive etc.

Happy penguining, let us know how you get on.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
nivrip said:
I must admit to knowing NOTHING about Linux, other than it is an alternative to Windows. My Windows system works fine so there is no incentive for me to change - and as a non-techy it would be a hassle anyway.
nod.gif

However, I came across THIS and it seemed like a way of getting into my PC if Windows failed for any reason.

I wondered what other members felt about this and whether anyone feels it is worthwhile pursuing. Or are there other, simpler, ways of dealing with Windows failures? I suspect that it is perhaps not a brilliant idea afterall as I usually feel that if something is fantastic everyone would be using it. There are no threads here in PCR about it that I can find.

Anyone got any strong feelings on this?
I think its good to have a boot cd with this or other Linux live cds. If your system crashes, like mine seems to a lot, you can still get online to pay bills etc... if modem or cable or dsl modems are supported. You can also burn a new live cd with all your settings saved so everything is ready after boot!

Ask a Question