Windows XP proret msi

Reaction score
Hi! I would be grateful for some help in this - I'm prompted to install a couple of updates which I did. As most of you would have encountered, I'm told to put in my XP disk. Subsequently, the message that proret.msi file is missing shows up. I can't find it anywhere.

I've checked one of the replies here, went to the link but it says that the information is not there.

Thanks.

Cee

Reaction score
Do you have MS Office installed, is it a full installation or custom, & if so which version of Office??

Reaction score
It was MS Office but the operating system is XP Pro. The prompt I received was that the file is in the XP Pro disk which I was supposed to insert. When I did as instructed, it said the file is missing.

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear in the previous message. It was Office 2000 and the operating system is XP Pro.

Thanks.

Reaction score
CeePee said:
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear in the previous message. It was Office 2000 and the operating system is XP Pro.

Thanks.
Which version of MS Office do you have?
And was it full installation or custom, what did you not install from the Office Disc?

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Strange, two enquiries on the same 'problem' in as many days.

Feckit is on the right track ... do you have the "original" Office CDs or is this a pre-installed copy of Office ?

Search the Office XP CD, including system folders, hidden files and folders and subfolders for "*.msi" without the quotes.

If your installation is a Trial version, the .msi file name has "tri" appended to it (for example, Protri.msi). A full Retail (non-trial) version of Office XP has "ret" appended to the .msi file name (for example, Proret.msi). A full Enterprise version does not contain "ret" or "tri" in the file name, for example, Pro.msi or Proplus.msi.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=828451

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=295369

Welcome to the Forums :thumb:

:user:

Reaction score
Do you mean the operating disk or the office disk? Sorry for being so thick!

The operating system was pre-installed. I can't remember which office cd was installed in my laptop. It is most likely Office XP. Will check on this. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi there. Sorry for my tardy response.

Muckshifter, thanks for the welcome! I tried using this Office XP Pro and the same message came up. I searched the CD and the file PROPLUS.MSI was located but the upgrade of SP3 would not accept this.

Is there another way to tackle this?

Thanks.

CeePee

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well, it looks like you have Office XP ... Office 2003, Office XP, and Office 2000 provide the Detect and Repair command.

You can find the Detect and Repair command on the Help menu of almost all Office programs. Using this command corrects identifiable problems such as missing files, corrupt files, registry omissions, or damaged registry entries.

It replaces the .msi file if it was deleted, damaged, or is the wrong version.

Using the Detect and Repair command usually requires you to provide the installation CD for the version of Office currently installed on your computer.

Another alternative is to simply re-install your version of Office ... just make sure you back-up any data, as a safety net. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
CeePee said:
Hi! I would be grateful for some help in this - I'm prompted to install a couple of updates which I did. As most of you would have encountered, I'm told to put in my XP disk. Subsequently, the message that proret.msi file is missing shows up. I can't find it anywhere.

I've checked one of the replies here, went to the link but it says that the information is not there.

Thanks.

Cee
i am running win xp. my documents will not open an the program is advising that i need to download " f/letter writing/office xp/proplus.msi

Ask a Question