program for organizing miscellaneous information

SJ Roh

I am looking for a program for managing a wide variety of miscellaneous,
often unrelated, information. I think this kind of program is called
outliner, information organizer, or note-taking organizer. What I want is
something that help me enter, manage and extract my notes, texts, thoughts
and ideas. Using the program should be at least better than using an
advanced text editor like jEdit or Crimson Editor for note taking and Google
Desktop Search for searching within notes.
I would like to see the following functionalities.(in order of priority)

1. runs on windows and not slow.
2. quick and flexible full text searching of all notes in the notetaking
program(not merely searching confined to a single note)
3. flexible tree-like structure of notes (or flexible keyword-based
structure of notes)
4. able to link between notes
5. basic import and export functionality
6. returns to last-viewed note (like pressing back button in web browsers)
7. detects internet addresses automatically.
8. freeware or commercial with price less than about 50$

Thanks in advance.

CharlieDontSurf

[...]

Keynote is an oft-recommended outliner (it's part of the Pricelessware
collection). It appears to have all the features you're looking for,
save perhaps the back-button return -- however, it has a tabbed
interface, so that might not be a problem.

http://www.tranglos.com/free/keynote.html

Susan Bugher

SJ said:
[...]

That's a pretty tall order. The Literary Machine *might* fill the bill (I haven't tried it).
Apparently it has a fairly steep learning curve. . .

Program: Literary Machine
Author: (Gunnar Sommestad)
http://www.sommestad.com/LMP_1_1.htm

Treepad falls a bit short but it's a very good organizer and *very* easy to use:

Program: Treepad Lite and Treepad Asia
Author: (Henk Hagedoorn )
Ware: Liteware (free for non-commercial use)
http://www.treepad.com

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Jeff Chapman

Hi SJR,

orGenta looks as though it would meet most of your requirements . . .
although it doesn't autmatically detect web addresses, it does have a field
for you to enter (and later jump to) an address. Here's the promo:

orGenta automatically categorizes sentences after you type them, parsing and
matching each word into categories that you establish. You may create
categories before or after you enter text. Categories may be nested into a
treelike hierarchy.

Version 1.1 adds a minimal-interface option that runs out of the system
tray! We also added an item zoom box and a button toolbar. orGenta also
performs "smart date" recognition, accepting both explicit dates and phrases
such as "the first Monday in November".

orGenta is compatible with all desktop versions of Windows.

You may download a shareware version of orGenta from

http://home.earthlink.net/~jdc 24/orGenta/orGentaHome.htm

-- Jeff

Neil Cooper

SJ said:
[...]