Program Files programs won't run under XP

Upgrade wouldn't work and I was forced to do a new install on a laptop. Now the old programs that are in the Program Files folder will not run. Instead they display a message "XXX program.exe is not a valid Win32 application." Isn't there a utility that usually gets run at the end of an upgrade to make all the prior programs run under XP? I would love to know if I can run something like it to make these programs work. Otherwise, the alternative is many hours of reinstalling them.

For older non xp programs to run they need to be installed,clean install
deletes all in formatting hd.Why wont an upgrade work,about the only problems
xp has is with cd creator,and some ME os files but they usually get wiped out before
xp starts.To install each seperatly,if thiers a problem use the xp compatability program.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello ,
Sorry you will need to reinstall all the applications since you did not do
an upgrade.
There are files and registry settings for those applcations that are not
present in the new installation. Those settings are migrated during the
upgrade process, when you do a clean install those are not available.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]