Profiles and .pst files

Will Fleenor

OS Windows XP with SP1
App: Outlook 2003 all patches loaded.

Ojective: Have an Outlook profile point to a sync copy of the Outlook.pst
file in the Briefcase.

Reason: If I can create a profile that points to the Outlook.pst file in the
Briefcase on my laptop I have simple, easy to manage solution to keeping the
..pst file on my laptop and the .pst file on my desktop computer
synchronized. I would simply make this the default profile and not
maintain, or ever even see the default local .pst file.

Problem: In creating a profile there does not appear to be any way to tell
the new profile to point to an exsiting .pst file. Instead it appears to
insist on creating its own completely new .pst file.

Question: Probably apparent by now. Is there any way to create a new
profile and have it point to an existing .pst file? or even better - Is
there any way to have the .pst file sync copy I have in the briefcase of my
laptop show up as a profile in the list of profiles I have to choose from.

Conclusion: This should be technically feasible since I can open the
outlook.pst file that is in the breifcase on my laptop with Outlook using
the File - Open - Outlook Data File from the Outlook main menu.

Thanks, Will

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Will said:
OS Windows XP with SP1
App: Outlook 2003 all patches loaded.

Ojective: Have an Outlook profile point to a sync copy of the
Outlook.pst file in the Briefcase.

Reason: If I can create a profile that points to the Outlook.pst file
in the Briefcase on my laptop I have simple, easy to manage solution
to keeping the .pst file on my laptop and the .pst file on my desktop
computer synchronized. I would simply make this the default profile
and not maintain, or ever even see the default local .pst file.

Problem: In creating a profile there does not appear to be any way
to tell the new profile to point to an exsiting .pst file. Instead
it appears to insist on creating its own completely new .pst file.

Close Outlook - search for the PST file the new profile created (make sure
you include hidden/system folders if using Win2k/XP). Delete the file. Open
Outlook. When it complains it can't find the PST file, point it at the one
of your choice - close & reopen Outlook.

Will Fleenor

Lanwench, good workaround. Works fine. I changed the profile setting to
make this the default profile. It does give you an error message the first
time you open Outlook after this change indicating it can not find certain
things. I was a dope and failed to carefully note the error message. I
believe it has something to do with email account settings.

Email account setting are apparently not part of the .pst file. Setting the
up again is not proble. However, I am curious about their location. I have
revied the list of file locations on the MS site
http://office.microsoft.com/assista...ID=HP030822101033&CTT=4&Origin=CH063564641033

and there is no listing I can recognize of a file that would contain the
email account setting. Do you know where these settings are maintained?

thanks, Will

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

Brian Tillman

Will Fleenor said:
Problem: In creating a profile there does not appear to be any way
to tell the new profile to point to an exsiting .pst file. Instead
it appears to insist on creating its own completely new .pst file.

When you add the "Personal Folders" service and you get the browse window to
open the PST, browse to the existing PST.

Brian Tillman

BillR [MVP]

can't you just point Outlook to the local copy that is synced to The copy on the briefcase?
there us info on syncing with briefcase and other alternatives at www.slipstick.com

Some Bluetooth devices have services that support some synchronisation