Problems

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Is anyone else still experiencing weird little niggles with the forum?

For instance, last night I couldn't access www.pcreview.co.uk at all, between about 1am and 2am. This seemed rather strange as usually it's just a 'Service Unavailable' message, but this time it was a 'this page cannot be displayed', as if the site had disappeared off the face of the earth!

At ~2.30am, I got some 'PHP access violation' error messages just by browsing around the forum.

Then this morning, whenever I'm viewing a thread, the first post begins way down the page, so you have to scroll down to start reading.

Any ideas why?

I did search for the 'Server Move' thread to post in there but that too seems to have disappeared...

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Electronics & Photo Fan said:
Is anyone else still experiencing weird little niggles with the forum?

I have to say that I've not had any such problems.

between about 1am and 2am.

Shouln't you be snoring at that time of the night?
icon12.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It looks like there may still be some bugs in the system - the software (but not the server) was automatically reset at 2:04AM this morning it seems due to a problem. So it could be that you checked at just the wrong time - it should only take about 10 seconds to do this reset when it finds the page isn't displaying as it should.

I'll have a look to see what happened now, as it sounds like it was down for longer than that! :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah, I know what it is :) At 1:03AM the server reset itself to install some Windows Updates - that's why it had a page could not be displayed error. Phew :blush:

That just leaves the thread viewing problem - if you could take a screenshot I'll see what I can do for you :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
When the horizontal resolution isn't wide enough the middle CSS column drops down, so if there's a wide image in a thread (or a large quote box) this might happen.

I'll have a look into this today if I get a chance (next week if not) and see if there's anything I can do. :)

A while back I added the orange arrows at the top of the screen for when people had problems with the width - if you click the right arrow on the menu bar it should fold the menu away and might let you view the page properly. :thumb: I'll still see if I can fix the problem once and for all though :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm looking into the problem now, as it's been happening every 20 mins now for the last couple of hours :eek:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It seems as though the monitoring software has been a bit too proactive! I disabled it last night in order to wait for the problem to occur.... and guess what - it didn't :confused:

As far as I can tell, the site wasn't down at all last night - so I can only assume that the monitoring software is jumping the gun. I've doubled the length of time before it decides to restart the web services on the server, and I'll monitor it today :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Electronics & Photo Fan said:
Then this morning, whenever I'm viewing a thread, the first post begins way down the page, so you have to scroll down to start reading

It's taken years for me to fix this bug that happens with wide threads (i.e. with big images), but I got some help from an absolute genius CSS guru called Paul O'B and he showed me how to fix it :thumb:

I've just added the fix on now, so it should be ok if all has gone well :D

Could you let me know if this has worked on the page(s) you experienced this on? I've rolled it out to forum thread pages as I've not experienced it anywhere else.

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Almost there... But it looks like this now

FYI, the problem is only happening with IE7. On both laptop & PC, but not with FF on either.

EDIT: Should probably say that the reason the sides of the site are partially cut off was because I had the scroll bar in the middle, it's not part of the problem. (Just in case you wondered why it looks so strange) lol

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does it only do that in WCG threads? I'll see what I can do still :)

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
I think it's only in stats threads... but as you said, it's probably to do with the large width of the stats box. So it would likely occur with large pictures too? Lets try anyway:

forumnow.png

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll keep working on it and I'll see what I can do to fix it :thumb:

Ask a Question