Problems with WEP

Tony Coyle

I have an hp laptop (bought in US) running win XP home with embedded
broadcom 54g network adapter (Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g). I've
updated the drivers to the latest I could find (Broadcom, July 17 03,
version 3.30.15.0). I just bought & installed a USR 54G access point (model
USR808054) (bought in Switzerland!)

Problem: XP wants WEP network keys of 40 or 104 bits... but the USR config
wants to create 64, 128, or 256 bits.

I have the feeling that the USR is a little more up to date (!) but can't
find how to update my XP network utilities to gain the higher encryption
rates.

HELP!

Mailstuff: fname=tonycoyle;dom=hispeed.ch
Mail to [fullname] at [dom]

Sam

Wow, I was going to post a message exactly like this, I have the same
problem, with the exact same hardware.

On USR's website they mention a "USR Configuration Utility" and even
show screenshots of it, (its a TSR that resides in the taskbar) but I
can't find the utility on the install CD or on their website.

Got my USR 8054 at Walmart last night, and...its probably going right
back!

From what I've read their support is almost non-existant.

-Sam

Sam

Wow, I was going to post a message exactly like this, I have the same
problem, with the exact same hardware.

On USR's website they mention a "USR Configuration Utility" and even
show screenshots of it, (its a TSR that resides in the taskbar) but I
can't find the utility on the install CD or on their website.

Got my USR 8054 at Walmart last night, and...its probably going right
back!

From what I've read their support is almost non-existant.

-Sam

ian

Tony Coyle said:
I have an hp laptop (bought in US) running win XP home with embedded
broadcom 54g network adapter (Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g). I've
updated the drivers to the latest I could find (Broadcom, July 17 03,
version 3.30.15.0). I just bought & installed a USR 54G access point (model
USR808054) (bought in Switzerland!)

Problem: XP wants WEP network keys of 40 or 104 bits... but the USR config
wants to create 64, 128, or 256 bits.

I have the feeling that the USR is a little more up to date (!) but can't
find how to update my XP network utilities to gain the higher encryption
rates.

HELP!

Mailstuff: fname=tonycoyle;dom=hispeed.ch
Mail to [fullname] at [dom]

40 = 64
104=128

difference relates to overheads in the system - select 40 on one and 64 on
the other and it should work fine!

HTH
Ian

Tony Coyle

Not exactly sure HOW this could be the same...

I sure don't know how to create a 64 bit key that is identical to a 40 bit
key....

or do I just ignore 24 bits (3 characters)... if so - which three?

hopefully, not the first three :)

THANKS

Tony Coyle

SAM

I got it working using MAC ids to restrict access... but I'd prefer to have
encrypted packets flying through the air.... otherwise it's still easy to
'sniff' the dataflow.

I guess I'll try Ian's suggestion - but I don't hold much hope...

rgds
Tony

Sam said:
Wow, I was going to post a message exactly like this, I have the same
problem, with the exact same hardware.

On USR's website they mention a "USR Configuration Utility" and even
show screenshots of it, (its a TSR that resides in the taskbar) but I
can't find the utility on the install CD or on their website.

Got my USR 8054 at Walmart last night, and...its probably going right
back!

From what I've read their support is almost non-existant.

-Sam

"Tony Coyle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
I have an hp laptop (bought in US) running win XP home with embedded
broadcom 54g network adapter (Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g). I've
updated the drivers to the latest I could find (Broadcom, July 17 03,
version 3.30.15.0). I just bought & installed a USR 54G access point (model
USR808054) (bought in Switzerland!)

Problem: XP wants WEP network keys of 40 or 104 bits... but the USR config
wants to create 64, 128, or 256 bits.

I have the feeling that the USR is a little more up to date (!) but can't
find how to update my XP network utilities to gain the higher encryption
rates.

HELP!

Mailstuff: fname=tonycoyle;dom=hispeed.ch
Mail to [fullname] at [dom]

Bruce

The reason is that WEP only actually uses 104 bits for the encryption
key when you select 128bit encryption. The other 24 bits (=3
characters) are used for other stuff (not sure what but not
encryption). So if you are asked for a ASCII key for 128bit just enter
13 characters (not 16) on both the WAP and the client PC. Let us know
how you get on.

Thanks,

Bruce.

Tony Coyle

Did some more reading... The other bits are internal to the WEP Protocol...
(they provide a dynamically public part for the overall encryption) so now I
have an encrypted network (suitable for now.. at least until I get & install
the upgrade to WPA for my router)

Thanks everyone!