Problems with Quicktime 7.1 for Windows

Reaction score
Hi

I have a problem with the new version of Quicktime 7.1 and I-Tunes. I was always getting an error message whenever i was on a particular website saying "Quicktime problem" and then "Illegal Operation in Plug-in". I use Firefox as my browser, it then asked me to restart my computer as Firefox was having a problem. I would just continue what i was doing and it would work. This happened time and time again but i would just by-pass it. I bought a software transcribing package called "Start-Stop" and while I was downloading the software it asked me if it could remove RealTime as this package is a media player and Start Stop would act as my main media player, i mistakenly said yes. Ever since i downloaded the software my quicktime has not worked when i go into Youtube or any other website which allows me to watch videos. I re-installed Quicktime but it is the newer version of 7.1 and I-Tunes 6. Although Quicktime appears to be on the system and it says it has successfully downloaded it, it still doesn't let me play any videos on websites and it frequently comes up with the usual error message. It also says I don't have Quicktime on my computer and to install it. I tried uninstalling and re-installing Quicktime individually and I-Tunes individually, but to no avail. My last resort was to restore my computer to when it previously worked which was last Monday and the old version of Quicktime subsequently worked, albeit i still got the annoying message. I had to upload my new Start Stop software again and then lo and behold quicktime failed to work again. I uninstalled it once again and uploaded the new version but to no avail. I'm tearing my hair out as it's very frustrating although the Quicktime Icon is on my computer, the computer tells me I have to install Quicktime. My I-tunes however are working.

Sorry for long-winded story above - but don't know what else to do.

Has anyone else had the same problems with Apple's Quicktime 7.1 and can anyone advise what I should do ?

Sole x

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've had no problems with Quick Time or I-Tunes, have latest versions installed within Win XP.

What Operating System are you using?

What is this Stop Start software? Do You have a link?

When you say you downloaded the Stop Start software do you mean you paid for a download off the net or you installed it from a CD or DVD?

It sounds as if this Stop Start software is clashing with Quick Time.

Reaction score
I had the problems before i installed the Start Stop software as i had an old version of Quicktime and it was almost like it kept prompting me to update the software and i never did, but it kept saying when i went into this dating site, every time someone sent me a message, I would get this warning saying "illegal performance - quicktime error - no plug-ins. Close firefox and restart again" But i learned to override that and carry on. Since I bought the Start Stop and loaded it from disk, it has been getting worse and that's when i did download the newer version. But it didn't work. I went onto a website and lot of people were saying they had the similar problems with the newer version. I don't think it has anything to do with the Start Stop, I just think Apple wanted me to update the software to 7.1 and apparently if you then purchase an update called quicktime pro which cost $29. Everyone says 7.1 doesn't work properly but if you buy the upgrade it does. It's Apple's way of making money. I'd rather have kept Quicktime 5 and looked at the warning signs every now and again, at least i could watch videos on the web. This way i can't see anything.

That's my theory..

Reaction score
Joking aside, I think your right moderator, perhaps Apple got frightened and realised i had another media package then ditched me. The two clashed and now i'm just left with Start Stop (it's a transcibing machine to type from CD, Videos, Digital files etc. I'm setting up my own business typing film and tv scripts and they use this package, time coding etc) Anyway it's mucked up QuickTime and I don't know what to do. I have been installing and re-installing Quicktime for 3 hours today and i'm getting to the stage if i ever see it again i will scream....but i want to watch the videos on the internet and Start Stop don't do that...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First off uninstall Quicktime.

Then download and install Regcleaner (right click link and select 'Save As' or similar) it's a freebie Register Editor.

Be very careful how you use this program as any actions are irreversible and certain entries in the Registry, if removed, could disable your system.

Note also that the only link to Regcleaner will be a desktop icon or clicking on the .exe file within it's directory.

The Apple Quicktime entries should be fairly obvious though, so remove them using Regcleaner.

Then download and install Alternate Quick Time.

This program enables you to view Quick Time files without having all the real Quick Time's baggage.

Let us know how you get on.

And I still don't know what operating system you're using, I'm assuming Win XP.

Reaction score
Thanks Flop for that..

I will try it out. Sorry forgot to say it's Windows XP 2000 Package 2. I will let you know how i get on.

Thanks for your advice and time on this.

Sole x

Reaction score
Quicktime Alternative worked!!!

Thanks so so so very much Flop. I followed your instructions and it worked. What a genius....now i can go on to YouTube without anymore annoying warnings.

Thanks again I really appreciate your help.

Have a fab bank holiday weekend !!

Sole x

Ask a Question