Quicktime and Quicktime Alternative

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
To keep things to a minimum I decided to download Quicktime Alternative as it advertises itself as a slimmed down version of Quicktime.

They are now both sitting on my PC and QT is 72.5 MB and QT Alternative is 101.9 MB. That doesn't seem slimmed down to me !

So, is there really any advantage in using QT Alternative? Anyone else use QTAlt?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I used to use QT Alternative (and Real Alternative), but from what I remeber they were very small packages at the time. Now I use a big codec pack which enables me to play QT files through most media players, or sometimes I just use VLC Player which can play almost anything :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I used QT Lite until i got my iPhone4, Itunes cried so had to uninstall it....

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Ian. I've downloaded VLC Player and uninstalled both QT and QT Alt. However, on clicking iTunes I now get a message stating that "Quick Time is required to run iTunes" and it refuses to appear.

Is there something I need to do within VLC to configure iTunes so that it operates? I went into VLC Help (which is headed VLC for Dummies) but could not make head nor tail of it (which makes me worse than a dummy :D ).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You gotta have QT if your using iTunes. Need to reinstall iTunes.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Which is one of the reasons I stopped using i-Tunes yonks ago, infuriating piece of software.

I use Winamp to manage both my i-Pod libraries.

Interesting, the file sizes of QT & Alt QT, Nivrip has a point - what's the point? lol

I don't think Apple's QT is quite the bogeyman it used to be and it does actually play video files ok as I remember.

But i-Tunes, that's quite another matter, imo it verily sucketh a large one :)

But like Ian, I have the latest K-Lite codec pack installed and Alt Media Player now plays anything.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Agghhhhhh......I give up. I don't use iTunes but one of my daughters uses it, when she's here at my place. She uses it it get stuff onto her iPhone.

I've simply gone back to QuickTime. Is there any other way to get stuff onto her phone?

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
nivrip said:
Agghhhhhh......I give up. I don't use iTunes but one of my daughters uses it, when she's here at my place. She uses it it get stuff onto her iPhone.

I've simply gone back to QuickTime. Is there any other way to get stuff onto her phone?

http://www.winamp.com/

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
nivrip said:
Is there any other way to get stuff onto her phone?
yep

you're too good to your children Niv ... make sure you have PSI installed ;)

If "you" don't need it, don't install it. :D

:wave:

Ask a Question