Windows XP problems with internet printing

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a hp photosmart 7450 printer. I am running windows 98 SE and i am unable to get the printer to print anything from the internet ( previous printers have all worked ok) the printer is fine if i want to print anything else such as letters drawings photos etc.

When i press the print button on the web browser i get the following message

"AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED IN THE SCRIPT ON THIS PAGE

CHAR 228
ERROR INCOMPATIBLE VERSION OF RPC STUB
CODE 0
URL RES://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/PREVIEW.DLG
YES NO

CAN ANYBODY HELP

THANKS
HUW

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... thats the problem. ;)

IE6 was basically for Win XP ... and MS offered it to all, knowing a lot of 98 & ME users should have stuck with IE5.5

I may find a fix for you, but don't wait up tonight as I'm in the middle of something. :)

Reaction score
Alternatively while you waiting for muckshifter to help you with explorer, you could also try using a different browser such as Opera Browser, opera should work fine with win 98.... and see if that helps you at all

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
HOOPEY said:
I have recently purchased a hp photosmart 7450 printer. I am running windows 98 SE and i am unable to get the printer to print anything from the internet ( previous printers have all worked ok) the printer is fine if i want to print anything else such as letters drawings photos etc.

When i press the print button on the web browser i get the following message

"AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED IN THE SCRIPT ON THIS PAGE

CHAR 228
ERROR INCOMPATIBLE VERSION OF RPC STUB
CODE 0
URL RES://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/PREVIEW.DLG
YES NO

CAN ANYBODY HELP

THANKS
HUW
OK, this seems to be the remedy for both 98 & ME ...
"extract dispex.dll from my original .cab files and replaced the newer version"
the file your looking for is dispex.dll ... rename it to dispex.old then extract from your 98 CD.

Sorry, its been a long time since I used 98 and the 'extract' command, let alone know which .CAB file you need to look at. So I ant gonna be much help there. :blush:

May I ask why you are using Win98 ?

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying windows xp in the next month or so as windows 98 has nevber really run properly from the beginning the most annoying bug being its reluctance to close down properly every 4th or 5th shut down .

Thanks for the help i'll try it later.

Ask a Question