Problems with Internet Explorer on New HP Pavilion Machine

Ellen Pollens

I just purchased Internet Explorer (Version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633)
which is installed on a New HP Pavilion a34n System

These are my two very annoying problems. Can anyone help me soon??? Thanks
in advance.

Problems:

* Internet Explorer (IE) does not hold changes to toolbar settings or for
selection of "Favorites" to be displayed on left of window.

* IE selections of "Open in New Window" often (maybe most often) results in
existing window(s) being CLOSED as new window is opened.

Corrective Actions Attempted (none of these fixed the problems):

* HP System Recovery re-initialization.

* Download of all Windows and Norton updates.
* Numerous anti-virus programs being run to establish beyond doubt that no
viruses are active in the system.
* Requesting IE reinstall from right click on "ie.inf".
* Extensive email communication with HP Customer Care followed by extensive
phone interaction with technicians at HP Customer Care.

Don Varnau

Ellen,
Toolbar settings: Go to http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm Scroll down
to #16 Internet
Explorer Toolbar settings are not saved

New window: From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck
"Reuse windows
for launching shortcuts."

And... you have a program running which is blocking pop-up windows-
something like Yahoo companion, Google toolbar, a firewall, Earthlink (or
another) pop-up blocker, etc.
With some programs of this type, using Ctrl+click or Shift+click will allow
a new window.

Don

Ellen Pollens

Don,

Thanks for your message.

I haven't been able to get the toolbars to lock despite trying your various
fixes. We tried the downloads of the patches and the Registry patch.
Nothing worked.

However, I was able to get the other problem with the successive windows to
go away. I deleted the Yahoo Toolbar and went go to browsing options and
uncheck "REUSE WINDOWS".

If you or others have any more suggestions about keeping the toolbars locked
upon shutdown, I'd appreciate your posting the information here. This
machine keeps going back to the default toolbar and my favorites go away,
too. Really annoying!

Thanks.
**********************************

Ellen Pollens

Don, nothing on that page works for us. However, we'll try them all again
this morning.

Thanks again.

Don Varnau said:
Did you try everything at
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm#Toolbarsave ?
There are several fixes specifically for newer HP machines.

Don

--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.
"Ellen Pollens" <aepollens[at]att.net> wrote in message
I just purchased Internet Explorer (Version
6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633)
which is installed on a New HP Pavilion a34n System
Problem:

* Internet Explorer (IE) does not hold changes to toolbar settings
or
for
selection of "Favorites" to be displayed on left of window.

Corrective Actions Attempted (none of these fixed the problems):
* HP System Recovery re-initialization.
* Download of all Windows and Norton updates.
* Numerous anti-virus programs being run to establish beyond doubt
that
no
viruses are active in the system.
* Requesting IE reinstall from right click on "ie.inf".
* Extensive email communication with HP Customer Care followed by
extensive
phone interaction with technicians at HP Customer Care.

Ellen Pollens

Dan --

Unfortunately, NONE of the fixes on that page are helping with this toolbar
problem. :-(

I'm going to repost to see if anyone else has any ideas. Thanks.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Ellen Pollens said:
[...]

which is installed on a New HP Pavilion a34n System I have one very
annoying problem. Can anyone help me soon??? Thanks in advance.

Problem:

* Tried suggestions at http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm at #16
Internet
Explorer Toolbar settings are not saved.
* HP System Recovery re-initialization.
* Download of all Windows and Norton updates.
* Numerous anti-virus programs being run to establish beyond doubt that no
viruses are active in the system.
* Requesting IE reinstall from right click on "ie.inf".
* Extensive email communication with HP Customer Care followed by extensive
phone interaction with technicians at HP Customer Care.

Robert Aldwinckle

Problem:
* Internet Explorer (IE) does not hold changes to toolbar settings or for
selection of "Favorites" to be displayed on left of window.

Please create a Desktop shortcut for About:Blank and give it a keyboard
shortcut of Ctrl-Alt-1. (Note: use a different key if you are already
using Ctrl-Alt-1 for something else or if you would prefer to use something
else; I am just giving that as an example to simplify further discussion.)

Detailed instructions for above:
1. open About:Blank
2. use File, Send, Shortcut to Desktop (Alt-F,e,S)
3. right-click the new Desktop icon, select Properties,
4. press Tab to enter the Shortcut key field, press 1 and Enter to set the
keyboard shortcut.
5. Ignore any error message. (If the shortcut was already there any
changes to it will be too.)

Test your change. E.g. press Ctrl-Alt-1 and verify an IE window is
launched with About:Blank opened.

Close all IE windows and verify that iexplore.exe is no longer
an active process (e.g. open Task Manager, switch to its Processes
tab and press i enough times to ensure that.) If you find that there
is still an iexplore.exe running that will be the cause of your symptoms.
Kill the remaining iexplore.exe process(es!) using Task Manger's
End Process button.

The point of doing all the above is to try to eliminate as much as possible
other extraneous factors in any remaining tests which will apply more specifically
to your symptoms.

Press Ctrl-Alt-1 to open About:Blank again.
Press Ctrl-i to set Favorites on.
Press Alt-F4 to close the window
Press Ctrl-Alt-1 to open About:Blank again.

Is Favorites set in this Window? If so, we have proved that a Favorites
preference can be made persistent by closing the last instance of an
IE window with the Favorites Explorer bar on.

Any other problem symptoms you have using other pages
could be due to those other pages and due to some malware
you have installed which interferes with their normal operation.
Note: malware does not imply you have a virus and typically
virus scanners ignore the presence of malware because there
is no virus signature associated with it. (So far you have given
no indication that you have dealt with the possibility of malware
in general, only that you have dealt with the possibility of the
specific kind of malware which are sofware viruses.)

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle