Problems with audio in MSN Messenger 6.1

Darren murray

My wife is currently at our home in England, while I am at my father's
house in Canada.

She is using our desktop, which has a broadband DSL connection to the
internet. The computer is connected directly to the DSL modem. In
place of a router/firewall, it has ZoneAlarm Pro installed on it.

While I am here, I am using my Dad's laptop which also has a broadband
DSL connection to the internet. This is a wireless connection to a
Microsoft MN-500 wireless base station, which acts as a
router/firewall. There is no software firewall on this machine.

We are both using MSN Messenger 6.1 running on Windows XP
Professional.

Messenger is working just fine for chatting via text and for viewing
each other's webcam. But, the audio will not work. I believe I have
everything configured properly on each computer, but the continued
problems seem to indicate otherwise.

This is where it gets interesting. We can both have complete
video/audio conversations with my wife's mother (who lives here in
Canada) just fine, but we can't make the audio work between us.

I'm quite confused by this.

On the computer in England, I've made sure that both my
mother-in-law's IP and mine are listed as "Trusted" in ZoneAlarm, and
I have essentially turned the firewall off for the "Trusted" zone.

Any ideas?

Darren Murray
dkmurray at canada dot com

Cory Brickner

[...]

Got almost the same issue on Windows Messenger. If you find out, let me
know and I'll do the same.

Here is my post...

Subject: WM Talking issues
From: Cory Brickner <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger

Both my parents and I are using Windows Messenger 5.0. They are running
XP Pro behind a D-Link DI-604 and NIS2004Pro. I am running XP Pro behind
a D-Link 704-P. We can chat, connect, they can see my video and hear my
voice, but I cannot hear their voice. They have done the audio tuning
wizard. I have remoted in to the system and seen that their mic levels
are going up and down when they talk. But I get NOTHING on my side.

Any hints? Oh, and when I talk/vid with someone else not behind a
firewall, (only my DI-704P) no issues. Everything works fine. Two way
video and audio communication.

Paying taxes supports organized crime.

Cory Brickner
cory at brickners dot com

The Freedom Pages
http://liberty.brickners.com/

SOL_Labco

This is all almost identical to my situation.

I can have WEBCAM/Audio conversations with one of my friends (We ar
both in england) yet when i try audio with anyone else there alway
seems to be network problems.

the video is generally fine, except on the odd occations, but they ar
rare, and offten related to the other person's firewall settings.

SOL

Cory said:
Got almost the same issue on Windows Messenger. If you find out, le
me
know and I'll do the same.

Here is my post...