problems with a news group

R

Russ

I'm having problems trying to see current messages in one of the newsgroups in an account that I have for different newsgroups (i.e. not the Microsoft communities account).

here are the symptoms:
a.. I subscribe to several news groups from this account and all but one seem to be working fine
b.. a couple of days ago I was cleaning out old messages, headers, and downloads from all of them
c.. I believe I may have also hit the "catch up" command (I was returning from holidays).
d.. since then, I can see new postings in 5 of the 6 newsgroups that I subscribe to, but not the main one that I use
I have since tried:
a.. unsubscribing and trying to download the "next 300" messages
b.. removing the entire news server account and reinstalling
c.. changing my system date and doing another download
d.. downloading all newsgroups names (about 75K of them)
e.. I have checked to make sure that the views and filters are the same for all newsgroups
f.. etc.
None of the above will let me see new messages (or old ones for that matter) in the specific newsgroup of interest, although the others are working just fine (all receive several updates every couple of hours).

The problem is not with the news server, because I have downloaded a different Usenet reader and am able to download and see messages from the newsgroup on that one.

So, can anyone shed light on what is in the MS Vista Mail environment which may be causing this type of problem?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Russ

J

jaf

Russ,
Sounds like Outlook Express isn't gone after all.

There is a reset button. Right click the group in Windows Mail, select properties, click on the local files tab. Click reset.

If that fails I would run the maintenance options in tools>options>advanced.
Do a Disk Cleanup. Start>acc>sys tools>disk cleanup
Empty recycle bin.
Set check disk to run on next reboot.
Reboot. Let check disk do its' thing.

Maybe a disk defrag.

John

I'm having problems trying to see current messages in one of the newsgroups in an account that I have for different newsgroups (i.e. not the Microsoft communities account).

here are the symptoms:
a.. I subscribe to several news groups from this account and all but one seem to be working fine
b.. a couple of days ago I was cleaning out old messages, headers, and downloads from all of them
c.. I believe I may have also hit the "catch up" command (I was returning from holidays).
d.. since then, I can see new postings in 5 of the 6 newsgroups that I subscribe to, but not the main one that I use
I have since tried:
e.. I have checked to make sure that the views and filters are the same for all newsgroups
f.. etc.
None of the above will let me see new messages (or old ones for that matter) in the specific newsgroup of interest, although the others are working just fine (all receive several updates every couple of hours).

The problem is not with the news server, because I have downloaded a different Usenet reader and am able to download and see messages from the newsgroup on that one.

So, can anyone shed light on what is in the MS Vista Mail environment which may be causing this type of problem?

Cheers,
Russ

G

Gary VanderMolen

Tools, Options, Read, uncheck "Get 300 headers at a time".
That setting causes the type of problems you have described.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

here are the symptoms:
I have since tried:
f.. etc.

Cheers,
Russ

R

Russ

Gary:

Thank you very much. That indeed did solve the problem that I was having.

Cheers,
Russ

Tools, Options, Read, uncheck "Get 300 headers at a time".
That setting causes the type of problems you have described.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

I'm having problems trying to see current messages in one of the newsgroups
in an account that I have for different newsgroups (i.e. not the Microsoft
communities account).

here are the symptoms:
a.. I subscribe to several news groups from this account and all but one
seem to be working fine
b.. a couple of days ago I was cleaning out old messages, headers, and
downloads from all of them
c.. I believe I may have also hit the "catch up" command (I was returning
from holidays).
d.. since then, I can see new postings in 5 of the 6 newsgroups that I
subscribe to, but not the main one that I use
I have since tried:
e.. I have checked to make sure that the views and filters are the same
for all newsgroups
f.. etc.
None of the above will let me see new messages (or old ones for that matter)
in the specific newsgroup of interest, although the others are working just
fine (all receive several updates every couple of hours).

The problem is not with the news server, because I have downloaded a
different Usenet reader and am able to download and see messages from the
newsgroup on that one.

So, can anyone shed light on what is in the MS Vista Mail environment which
may be causing this type of problem?

Cheers,
Russ

Ask a Question