problems sharing files

Jan

I have actually been trying for over a year to get our
home computers to share files/printer. Have just
installed a wireless network, and still can't share files.

Adelphia Motorola SURFboard cable modem, connected to a
Linksys WRT54G router (by cat5 wire).

The Linksys WRT54G router is connected by cat5 wire to a
Dell Dimension 8200, with a Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 Ghz, 512
MB RAM; the Dell has an internal RealTek RTL8139/810X
Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

The Linksys router uses a wireless connection to a HP
Pentium 3 CPU 450 Mhz, 192 MB RAM using the WMP54G
Wireless-G PCI Adapter

AND the router is also connected to a Gateway laptop,
Mobile Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4-M CPU 2.20 Ghz, 504 MB RAM
with a WPC54G Wireless G Notebook Adapter

All 3 computers are running on MS Windows XP Home OS.
All 3 computers can connect to the Internet.
All 3 computers have icons in the Systray
(Status=Connected)
None of the computers can "see" any of the other
computers or the printer; in other words, file & printer
sharing is NOT possible.

I have read Help & Knowledge Base articles & searched
Newsgroups/Internet articles until my eyes are swimming.

I have tried pinging and "net use" and "net view";
pinging the Default Gateway=4 received & 4sent
pinging the IP Address & the Subnet Mask=4 sent, 0
received
The Connection Specific DNS Suffix line is blank after
the colon :

net use= There are no entries in the list
net view= Server name "\\JAN Jan E.V.W. Hanson's Computer
The command completed successfully
C:\Documents and Settings\Jan E.V.W. Hanson>
Which I understand to mean that the network can see my
own computer, but not the other 2.

Frankly, I'm at my wits' end!!

HELP!!!!!

I have downloaded all the latest updates, drivers & virus
definitions from Windows Update, Linksys &
Symantec/Norton.

Bob Willard

Jan said:
[...]

1. Make sure your router has DHCP server enabled, and that each PC
is set to be a DHCP client. That is the easiest way to ensure that
all PCs are in the same IP subnet. And, if you change anything,
reboot the changed PC. To check IP addresses, run CMD and type
IPCONFIG/ALL in the CMD window.

2. Make sure that all PCs have the same workgroup name, and that
each PC has a short, simple, unique, PCname.

3. Make sure that all PCs have ICF permanently disabled. Also, at
least while debugging, disable and uninstall all software firewalls,
and AV apps (Norton, etc.).

4. Make sure that you are running TCP/IP on each PC, and (for most
home nets) that no other protocols (IPX/SPX, NetBEUI) are running.
Make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.

5. Make sure that F&P sharing is enabled, and that some (non-root)
folder is shared and has a short, simple, sharename.

6. Make sure that each PC can ping itself, using both ping-by-number
and ping-by-name. Make sure each PC can ping each other PC on your
home net, using both ping-by-number and ping-by-name. If ping-by-number
works but ping-by-name fails, that indicates a DNR problem, so check
your DNS settings (using IPCONFIG/ALL) to make sure all PCs have the
same settings and that those settings are appropriate for your ISP;
usually, the PC's DNS settings should match the router's DNS settings.

Bob Willard

Jan said:
THANK YOU
THANK YOU