Access problems accessing old hard disk from vista

Reaction score
My old Windows XP machine crashed and I bought a new computer with Windows Vista.

However, I would like to read my old files on the old hard disk. I could not boot up the old system but I removed the hard disk and installed it in a USB cabinet and plugged it into my new vista machine.

The problem is that some files are restricted to a user defined in that old XP system and my new administrator user on vista appears unable to override this access restrictions.

Is there any way one can tell vista that "I am admin and I want full control of that hard disk anyway"?

If I could have booted up the old system I could of course have changed those permissions but as I cannot boot up that machine and it is now dismantled anyway I wonder if there is any way I can access those files?

I did try to change file permissions from vista but even though I am administrator I seem unable to change them in any way.

Alf

Reaction score
Hi,

I dont think there is any way of over riding these settings in Vista I had the same problem as you I wanted to access files on the XP hard drive but Vista would not let me.

Others might be able to help you.

wizkid

Reaction score
I found the solution to my own problem. Here it is for anyone else who has had the same problems as I had.

The clue is to first take ownership of the files. Remember to apply it to subfolders etc also.

Then you can change the permissions, add in your own name on the list of users and groups permissions and set whatever access you like to yourself. Apply this too to subfolders etc.

Then you can access all the files.

Hope this is of help to other people with the same problem as I had.

Alf

Reaction score
Well i don't think vista will allow to access files on x.p ... You cant do anything....

Ask a Question