Problem with VISTA regarding PC DVD Games

Hi there guys, recently my brother got a new computer with a DVD/CD Drive
bother occupying the same slot.
The drive reads CD's fine, but when we try to install games from PC DVD's
like Dawn of Wawr The Dark Crusade, or another program like Magix Video
Editing software it says the disc is blank and asks us to format it. I've
tried looking for updates to drivers and Vista but nothing is working. Does
anyone have any tips?

Thanks!

Steve Mavronis

ReallyNeedHelp said:
The drive reads CD's fine, but when we try to install games from PC DVD's
like Dawn of Wawr The Dark Crusade, or another program like Magix Video
Editing software it says the disc is blank and asks us to format it. I've
tried looking for updates to drivers and Vista but nothing is working.
Does
anyone have any tips?

I have Vista Ultimate and installed the DVD version of Unreal Tournament
2004 with no problems. It shouldn't be an issue with a new computer but find
out the DVD drive's model and manufacturer and see if there is a firmware
update from their page. On my old PC with Windows XP, I did have a problem
with UT2004 during install were the DVD would hang part way through. The
firmware update for the drive made by Toshiba fixed the problem.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be a firmware update for the particular
model: TSSTCORP TSL462D

Does anyone know if there have been a lot of problems with this model? I
researched it quite a bit and there seems to be problems with the TSL462C
version... I am going to call Dell tomorrow and see if it's covered under
warranty

BigJim

does it run regular dvd movies?
Steve Mavronis said:
I have Vista Ultimate and installed the DVD version of Unreal Tournament
2004 with no problems. It shouldn't be an issue with a new computer but
find out the DVD drive's model and manufacturer and see if there is a
firmware update from their page. On my old PC with Windows XP, I did have
a problem with UT2004 during install were the DVD would hang part way
through. The firmware update for the drive made by Toshiba fixed the
problem.

Andy [YaYa]

ReallyNeedHelp said:
Unfortunately there does not seem to be a firmware update for the
particular
model: TSSTCORP TSL462D

Does anyone know if there have been a lot of problems with this model? I
researched it quite a bit and there seems to be problems with the TSL462C
version... I am going to call Dell tomorrow and see if it's covered under
warranty

If it's a new computer, no reason not to call Dell, espically if you are
under warranty. If it's an old system and you upgraded to Vista, it could be
the drive or something. I've seen this happen from time to time, what I do
is remove and insert the DVD and it'll work. What is your system like? how
much ram? CPU? Is it a screaming machine or a slower than hell laggy thing?

-A.

Ive got the same problem but I've got a Pioneer Bluray combo player. It
ignores DVDs and BRDVDs but CD works fine.

It used to work fine otherwise I wouldnt have got Vista installed. Soon
after I got Bioshock installed: worked and played fine. I installed quite a
few more programs including AnyDVD; which is suspect in the problem. DVDs
and BRDVDs are recognized because the avatar and correct label show up in 'my
computer'. Opening or exploring just shows "Drag any files to this folder to
add them to disk" instead of any contents. Even though Bioshock was
successfully installed the disk is ignored and the game will no longer start
up. Attempting to may kill Vista on occassion.

Ive tried:
uninstalling in device manager.
preventing AnyDVD from starting up.
searching for new firmware Pioneer DBC-202

Pikey Joe

McBain said:
[...]

Could this be caused by Bioshock's copy protection? AnyDVD is one of the
programs 'blacklisted' by SecuROM (Bioshock's protection).

It's just a thought...

I'll unistall AnyDVD but I no longer think it the problem. Checking the
forums here it seems a common problem with different make optical drives; not
sure if AnyDVD is a commonality. The problem started about the time I
installed AnyDVD but am not sure. The problem persists with any DVD or
BluRay disc. I didn't notice the problem until I tried installing Quake
Wars. The QW logo shows up in 'my computer' autoplay, explore, or open
don't work. There will be some disc activity for a while then stops,
occasionaly the Vista will go black and die. On only a single occassion the
autoplay came up. I hit 'install', then some activity, then black screen/die.

I'll try to uninstall AnyDVD and let you know.

Yep. Removing AnyDVD did help but know the system is unstable when working
the disk. This seems to happen now

Company of Heeos,install crashes in BSOD
Ghost Recon installs crashes in BSOD.
Quake Wars crashes install BSOD

Blu Ray disc '300' freezes WinDVD8.

However Bioshock plays now. At lest the DVD-ROMs will run auto play. Now
the installs crash the system. Has AnyDVD caused damage to the Vista?

Ive reinstalled Pioneer BDC-202; no difference.
Ran Registry booster: no difference.

Pikey Joe

McBain said:
Yep. Removing AnyDVD did help but know the system is unstable when
working
the disk. This seems to happen now

Company of Heeos,install crashes in BSOD
Ghost Recon installs crashes in BSOD.
Quake Wars crashes install BSOD

Blu Ray disc '300' freezes WinDVD8.

However Bioshock plays now. At lest the DVD-ROMs will run auto play. Now
the installs crash the system. Has AnyDVD caused damage to the Vista?

Ive reinstalled Pioneer BDC-202; no difference.
Ran Registry booster: no difference.

I'm afraid I don't know, sorry, I'm no expert on this It's just that when I
see DVD problems and Bioshock mentioned in the same post it's almost
certainly something to do with 2K games' illegal implementation of SecuROM.

It may be worth contacting SlySoft, SecuROM and 2K Games (though don't
expect much help from the latter).

Good luck.

Andy [YaYa]

Pikey Joe said:
I'm afraid I don't know, sorry, I'm no expert on this It's just that when
I see DVD problems and Bioshock mentioned in the same post it's almost
certainly something to do with 2K games' illegal implementation of
SecuROM.

It may be worth contacting SlySoft, SecuROM and 2K Games (though don't
expect much help from the latter).

Good luck.

"illegal implementation"? How is putting copy protection onto your game CD
illegal? Geez people get over it. You're just bitter the program doesn't
like your setup. It does suck, don't get me wrong, I am totally against copy
protection (only punishes the consumer, and a good game will sell itself,
etc.), but quit with the thinly veiled whining already.

BSOD is interesting, but doesn't really explain what the error is. Maybe you
said which BSOD you're getting in a previous post, but if not what's the
BSOD saying. Usually something in all caps towards the top of the screen.

The Pioneer BluRay drive (I assume it's a Blu Ray drive) is a new drive,
could be untested by SecuROM, if it is a problem with their copy protection
then they can help, at least I've seen them help others and seem prompt and
friendly enough. As for the other games, if they don't use SecuROM then the
protection from Bioshock shouldn't affect those games. Might be something
else.

Try borrowing a USB dvd drive, see if that works, or just buy a $15 DVD rom
drive (check newegg.com) to play games on and save your blu-ray drive for
other stuff.

-a.

Pikey Joe