Problem with USB Ports


R

Robert Moir

Got an odd USB problem here. Running an intel i965 based system with a
relatively new install of XP.

Today, 'some' of the USB ports fail to recognise my USB hub and the
peripherals plugged into it (phone adaptor, keyboard, mouse...) and other
things i've plugged into test it (memory sticks, etc).

These devices work fine when booted into the BIOS mode but do not work in
the same port in Windows. Often reports "Unknown Device" when I insert
something, but not always. I can move the problem devices / hub to
unaffected ports and they work fine all the time.

So it isn't the physical ports - they work when I'm in the BIOS.
It isn't the peripheral hardware - it works when plugged into another port.
It isn't the hub - I've used different hubs to test this - and again, works
in another port.

Any ideas?
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Ghostrider

Robert said:
Got an odd USB problem here. Running an intel i965 based system with a
relatively new install of XP.

Today, 'some' of the USB ports fail to recognise my USB hub and the
peripherals plugged into it (phone adaptor, keyboard, mouse...) and other
things i've plugged into test it (memory sticks, etc).

These devices work fine when booted into the BIOS mode but do not work in
the same port in Windows. Often reports "Unknown Device" when I insert
something, but not always. I can move the problem devices / hub to
unaffected ports and they work fine all the time.

So it isn't the physical ports - they work when I'm in the BIOS.
It isn't the peripheral hardware - it works when plugged into another port.
It isn't the hub - I've used different hubs to test this - and again, works
in another port.

Any ideas?

Some USB hubs need to be powered ones. Is this an USB hub with
its own power supply?
 
R

Robert Moir

Ghostrider said:
Some USB hubs need to be powered ones. Is this an USB hub with
its own power supply?

Sorry, I should have made this clearer - the hub _was_ working fine and
suddenly stopped working, and the components that are normally plugged into
the hub exhibit the same problems when plugged in directly. So it isn't the
hub.
 
R

Robert Moir

Robert said:
Thanks, I'll give those a look

Hi again

I get the following errors reported on the problem ports with those
monitoring tools:

"No Open Pipes!"
and
"device enumeration failure"

Any ideas?
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Robert Moir

Robert said:
Hi again

I get the following errors reported on the problem ports with those
monitoring tools:

"No Open Pipes!"
and
"device enumeration failure"

Any ideas?

Fixed - damn odd one this

Problem traced to a faulty cable that was plugged into a totally different
USB port on the motherboard. I can only assume that all the ports on the
back of my computer share the same "internal" USB hub or USB controller.
 
G

Guest

Gremlin's aye...

Brovo...!

I was thinking it might be some sort of a connection issue, but without a
visual on the machine, it's really just guess work, like just jiggle your
cables, dude, etc.. Glad you were able to get it nailed down, what monitoring
tool did you try, if you don't mind me asking..?
Cheers
j;-j
 
R

Robert Moir

Jaymon said:
Gremlin's aye...

Brovo...!

I was thinking it might be some sort of a connection issue, but
without a visual on the machine, it's really just guess work, like
just jiggle your cables, dude, etc.. Glad you were able to get it
nailed down, what monitoring tool did you try, if you don't mind me
asking..?
Cheers
j;-j

UVCView did it for me. Nice and simple, so it was within my ability to use
it!

I know that cable issues are the first place to visit if you plug something
new in, but this was totally out of the blue after months of use, which is
what took me by surprise. Still, all's well that ends well. Thanks once
again for your help.

Rob
 
D

DanS

Fixed - damn odd one this

Problem traced to a faulty cable that was plugged into a totally
different USB port on the motherboard. I can only assume that all the
ports on the back of my computer share the same "internal" USB hub or
USB controller.

Yes, typically all USB ports share the same hardware interupt.
 
Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

R

Robert Moir

DanS said:
I didn't say it was. I was comfirming what you said you 'can only
assume'.

USB Hub and USB Controller are not interupts. Though where the many 'built
in' hubs are connected to several controllers, they do, as you say, share
the same interupt. The problem was related to an internal USB hub - a
problem with a cable on one socket affected all the other sockets on that
same internal hub.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads


Top