From: "KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Problem with the System Cloning Tool
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:10:38 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded

Larry,

Sorry, I lost the point.
I had thought you problem was how to have a unique name specified per device and be
able to connect to it and change the name as
you'd want it to be.
But seems like I was wrong and you were asking about the remote tool that would allow
you to connect to a headless terminal. Is it
right?

RDP, Telnet, Computer Manager, etc.?
Many remote tools are out there that will be helpful to you as long as you are able to
connect to the computer remotely over NetBT.

KM

Larry,

Did I get it right - you want to run everything from the device? And that is what you called "remotely", right?

What you described can be easy implemented within a batch file or any other script (WSH).
You don't need a special tool for that.
Just have an access to a network server share. You connect to it from the device from the batch file script and read/write some
parameters there that will affect the new name you are about to generate with newsid utility. If you use WSH and FileSystemObject
you will be able to implement all you want to in just a few lines on code.

Larry Waibel

I guess I still didn't explain it right :) I have a development system and a target
system. The target system is headless but I can connect to it from my development system
and map a drive on my development system to one on the target. From the development system
I want to somehow be able to change the computer name of the target system.

From: "KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:34:43 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded

Larry,

Did I get it right - you want to run everything from the device? And that is what you called "remotely", right?

What you described can be easy implemented within a batch file or any other script (WSH).
You don't need a special tool for that.
Just have an access to a network server share. You connect to it from the device from the
batch file script and read/write some
parameters there that will affect the new name you are about to generate with newsid
utility. If you use WSH and FileSystemObject

KM

Larry,

Then, as I said earlier, you can connect to the target over RDP/Telnet/CM or whatever you prefer and change the name.

You can even run a process ("newsid") remotely wit, for instance, PsExec (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psexec.shtml).

What computer name you use initially to connect to the target would depend on the configuration settings you set in TD.

Larry Waibel

Ahhhh, THAT'S what I was looking for, 'PsExec'. That does what I need; thanks!!!!!

KM

Larry,

Ahh.. You just needed a command line tool to launch a process remotely :)
There is a bunch of similar tools available on Net (most are free).

If you really want to do remotely everything with almost no restrictions from a command line, take a look at the Win2000/XP Resource
Kit's Remote Command Service (Rcmd.exe) that provides a way to remotely administer and run command-line programs
http://www.dynawell.com/reskit/microsoft/win2000/rcmd.zip.