Problem with recycle bin?


G

Guest

I recently had to reinstall windows xp home and ever sense I have a problem
with my recycle bin. Every time I delete something and then empty my recycle
bin I get an error message saying, "Cannot delete desktop: the file or
directory is corrupted or unreadable. I answer OK and it is deleted as
usual. Why am I getting this error and how can I fix it. It doesn't matter
what I delete or where it is from the message is always the same when I empty
the recycle bin??
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

deertroy said:
I recently had to reinstall windows xp home and ever sense I have a problem
with my recycle bin. Every time I delete something and then empty my recycle
bin I get an error message saying, "Cannot delete desktop: the file or
directory is corrupted or unreadable. I answer OK and it is deleted as
usual. Why am I getting this error and how can I fix it. It doesn't matter
what I delete or where it is from the message is always the same when I empty
the recycle bin??

How the Recycle Bin Stores Files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/136517

HTH.
Let us know.
nass
 
G

Guest

I looked at the link but in all honesty I don't really understand it or what
it's telling me to do to fix my problem?
 
G

Guest

deertroy said:
I looked at the link but in all honesty I don't really understand it or what
it's telling me to do to fix my problem?

Okay before trying this fix below try to Run Disk Clean Up on your Computer
by Double clicking My Computer and right click your C:\ then select
properties.
On the Drive properties click Disk CleanUp button under general Tab and
Reboot.
Try to open Notepad and type a text then save to the desktop and delete by
sending it to the Bin then try to produce the scenario does it happen?.
If it does then try the Fix below if it doesn't there are no need for fix,
because you been fixed.
Line 64 -- second column when running select Repair Recycle Bin:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

HTH.
Let us know.
nass
========
www.nasstec.co.uk
 
G

Guest

Ok, I'll try what you suggestted and let you know. I did figure out how to
start to a command prompt in safe mode. I typed: "attrib -s -h recycled" but
got a message saying: filed not found "recycled" so I couldn't finish typing
del recycled as the link suggested.
 
G

Guest

I tried both things you suggested. With the second suggested, I didn't get
the option to select repair recycle bin when I ran the program on line 64
second column. It asked me if I wanted to add the information to the
registry. I answered yes and was told the information was successfully added
to the registry. I created a notepad document and then deleted it and got
the same error message when i tried to empty the recycle bin. I thought
maybe I should reboot and try again, which i did with the same result. Error
mesage?
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Rock

deertroy said:
I recently had to reinstall windows xp home and ever sense I have a problem
with my recycle bin. Every time I delete something and then empty my
recycle
bin I get an error message saying, "Cannot delete desktop: the file or
directory is corrupted or unreadable. I answer OK and it is deleted as
usual. Why am I getting this error and how can I fix it. It doesn't
matter
what I delete or where it is from the message is always the same when I
empty
the recycle bin??

Run a chkdsk /f from a command prompt and see if that helps. It will say
the drive can't be locked and ask if you want to run it at the next boot,
reply yes. Then reboot. Make sure you have a full and complete backup of
all important data before running a chkdsk.
 
G

Guest

How do I run a chkdsk /f from a command prompt? I assume I sart my computer
in safe mode with command prompt? What do I then type including spaces etc.?
 
G

Guest

I started my computer in safe mode with command prompt. I didn't know to log
on under my account (administrator) or the account called administrator so I
chose administrator. I typed chkdsk /f and got a message saying cannot do a
disk check as the drive is in use, do you want to do a disk check the next
time windows restarts? I answered y. I don't know how to get out of command
prompt so I hit the restart button on my tower. I started in normal safe
mode but the disk check never started.
 
G

Guest

Start your computer in Normal Mode, on the Desktop Double Click My Computer
to open it, hen Right click your C:\ Partition and select properties.
On the Drive properties window click on Tools and select Check Disk, a
pop-up window will open Check Both Check Boxes to auto fix and click [OK],
another Pop-up will say the system in use would you like the check disk start
on next Start Up say Yes for this and Reboot your computer.
The check disk should initialize and start to check your HDD it will take a
while so make yourself comfy.
HTH.
Let us know.
 
G

Guest

I've done a disk check that way in the past. I just didn't know how to do it
with command prompt. I'll go ahead and do it the usual way and see if it
helps.

nass said:
Start your computer in Normal Mode, on the Desktop Double Click My Computer
to open it, hen Right click your C:\ Partition and select properties.
On the Drive properties window click on Tools and select Check Disk, a
pop-up window will open Check Both Check Boxes to auto fix and click [OK],
another Pop-up will say the system in use would you like the check disk start
on next Start Up say Yes for this and Reboot your computer.
The check disk should initialize and start to check your HDD it will take a
while so make yourself comfy.
HTH.
Let us know.

deertroy said:
How do I run a chkdsk /f from a command prompt? I assume I sart my computer
in safe mode with command prompt? What do I then type including spaces etc.?
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Rock

deertroy said:
How do I run a chkdsk /f from a command prompt? I assume I sart my
computer
in safe mode with command prompt? What do I then type including spaces
etc.?


No you don't have to go to safe mode. From normal mode click Start | Run |
type in cmd, click ok. From the command line type chkdsk /f
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

Well, i found my problem! Sort of. I've had my friends external hard drive
here when I did my new install to copy my documents and such onto. I just
found out that if I shut the external hard drive off I don't get the error
message when I delete something. I turn it on and the error message is back.
The files I'm deleting aren't on his drive but on mine?

deertroy said:
I've done a disk check that way in the past. I just didn't know how to do it
with command prompt. I'll go ahead and do it the usual way and see if it
helps.

nass said:
Start your computer in Normal Mode, on the Desktop Double Click My Computer
to open it, hen Right click your C:\ Partition and select properties.
On the Drive properties window click on Tools and select Check Disk, a
pop-up window will open Check Both Check Boxes to auto fix and click [OK],
another Pop-up will say the system in use would you like the check disk start
on next Start Up say Yes for this and Reboot your computer.
The check disk should initialize and start to check your HDD it will take a
while so make yourself comfy.
HTH.
Let us know.

deertroy said:
How do I run a chkdsk /f from a command prompt? I assume I sart my computer
in safe mode with command prompt? What do I then type including spaces etc.?

:

I recently had to reinstall windows xp home and ever sense I have a problem
with my recycle bin. Every time I delete something and then empty my
recycle
bin I get an error message saying, "Cannot delete desktop: the file or
directory is corrupted or unreadable. I answer OK and it is deleted as
usual. Why am I getting this error and how can I fix it. It doesn't
matter
what I delete or where it is from the message is always the same when I
empty
the recycle bin??

Run a chkdsk /f from a command prompt and see if that helps. It will say
the drive can't be locked and ask if you want to run it at the next boot,
reply yes. Then reboot. Make sure you have a full and complete backup of
all important data before running a chkdsk.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads


Top