Problem with multiple IE windows

This started happening a few months ago, and even using Reset Internet
Options and System Restore did not fix it.

Whenever I have an Internet Explorer window open and try to open another
window, it closes the original window. Even when I click on a link off a
website, it will close the original window to open the new one. It is very
annoying to only be able to have one browser window open at a time. What can
I do?

In addition, I could use some advice on a good Spyware/ Adware blocker.

Don Varnau

Hi,
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse windows
for launching shortcuts."

And... you may have a toolbar or program running which is blocking
pop-up windows- something like Yahoo toolbar, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar,
etc.
The Yahoo toolbar is a very common cause. Uninstalling the Yahoo toolbar
should allow a second window to open.

If you're sure that another program isn't causing this, these links should
help.
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm Tips #21 & 46
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/26.html
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/27.html

Adware/spyware protection:
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.php#protect
and
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Free antivirus programs http://www.aumha.org/freeware/mfav.htm

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Thanks for the help. I was having the same problem and it turned out to be
the Yahoo toolbar. What's strange is that I did not even have it enabled -
it was grayed out so I could not even select it. I removed it from my
computer anyway and it fixed the problem.

--
Steve W

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse windows

Robotto said:
This started happening a few months ago, and even using Reset Internet
Options and System Restore did not fix it.

Whenever I have an Internet Explorer window open and try to open another
window, it closes the original window. Even when I click on a link off a
website, it will close the original window to open the new one. It is very
annoying to only be able to have one browser window open at a time. What can
I do?

In addition, I could use some advice on a good Spyware/ Adware blocker.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Yes, others have reported that the Yahoo toolbar was disabled but still
blocked second windows. Strange...

Glad that the suggestion helped you.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Steve W said:
Thanks for the help. I was having the same problem and it turned out to be
the Yahoo toolbar. What's strange is that I did not even have it enabled -
it was grayed out so I could not even select it. I removed it from my
computer anyway and it fixed the problem.

Steve W
blocker.

Just wanted to report that I have been having exactly the same problem, and
uninstalling the yahoo toolbar (add/remove programs) instantly fixed it. As
with others, I already had it disabled - apparently that's not good enough!

Thanks for the tip!

===============================

Steve W said:
Thanks for the help. I was having the same problem and it turned out to be
the Yahoo toolbar. What's strange is that I did not even have it enabled -
it was grayed out so I could not even select it. I removed it from my
computer anyway and it fixed the problem.

Steve W
Don Varnau said:
Hi,
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse windows

"Robotto" <Robotto[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
This started happening a few months ago, and even using Reset Internet
Options and System Restore did not fix it.

Whenever I have an Internet Explorer window open and try to open another
window, it closes the original window. Even when I click on a link off a
website, it will close the original window to open the new one. It is
very
annoying to only be able to have one browser window open at a time. What
can
I do?

In addition, I could use some advice on a good Spyware/ Adware
blocker.

Don --

It was indeed the Yahoo Bar. I don't even remember installing it! Thanks
for the help.