problem with character styles

Andy Fish

Hi all,

Say I have a character style that is something like "font: arial 8 pt bold".
If I apply it to a word in paragraph where the paragraph style already
includes bold, the text becomes not bold, i.e. it seems to toggle it.

Is there anyway to set up my character style so that it means "not bold"
rather than "toggle boldness"

TIA

Andy

TF

Andy

The answer is that you should avoid using direct formatting otherwise
conflicts with toggled emphasis such as bold, underline and italics will
happen. You can remove the direct character formatting by using Ctl+Spacebar
to reset a character of Ctrl+Q to reset a paragraph. Then apply the new
style to the characters or paragraph.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

: Hi all,
:
: Say I have a character style that is something like "font: arial 8 pt
bold".
: If I apply it to a word in paragraph where the paragraph style already
: includes bold, the text becomes not bold, i.e. it seems to toggle it.
:
: Is there anyway to set up my character style so that it means "not bold"
: rather than "toggle boldness"
:
: TIA
:
: Andy
:
:

Andy Fish

Thanks for the response Terry. The problem is that I don't see how I can
avoid direct formatting.

e.g. say I have paragraph styles called style1 and style2 where style2
includes bold.

now say I have a character style called "emphasised" which is bold, italic,
underlined

If I take a paragraph in style2 and then apply the emphasised style to a
word within it, the word ends up not bold, so it's like the 2 bolds cancel
each other out; this is the behaviour I'm trying to avoid.

Shauna Kelly

Hi Andy
it's like the 2 bolds cancel each other out;

Exactly. So, define your "emphasised" character style as italic, not bold
italic.

If this seems either frustrating or counter-intuitive, consider that
applying styles is giving Word an instruction. You can see the definitions
of styles in the Styles and Formatting pane, by hovering over the name of
the style. And you can see that it is expressed as an instruction. So your
style1 might be "Normal + Arial + Bold + 16pt", or some such.

A character style is always applied on top of a paragraph style. All
character styles are defined as something like "Default Paragraph Font +
Bold + Red". That means "The font of the underlying paragraph format + Bold
+ Red".

So if style "emphasised" is "Default Paragraph Format + Italic", and you
apply it to some text in paragraph style1, you'll get "Normal + Arial + Bold
+ 16pt + Italic".

And you're right: the on/off properties like bold, italic, underlined etc
act as toggles. So "Normal + Arial + Bold + Bold" displays as un-bold.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

Klaus Linke

You can sometimes avoid the problem if you use a font for the headings that looks bold (such as "Arial Black").
Last time I said that I got flamed from here to hell because somebody thought "Arial Black" was an ugly font for headings, but you may have other fonts installed that work... "Arial Black" just happens to be available on most Word installations.

Regards,
Klaus

TF

Klaus

Well there are font snobs around!

I read an article in The Times a few weeks back: the bigot (I mean
journalist) thought Arial was a boring font only used by boring people and
that anyway using Comic Sans was a moron (or similar words).

Well our company uses Arial for all its technical documents: why would
anyone object to being presented a technical document in Arial? It is the
content that is important; the reader shouldn't be distracted from the
content by using a stylistic layout with a fancy font. Arial is easy to read
and doesn't distract from the content. One of the reasons he cited it as
being boring is because every Tom, Dick and Harry has it on their computer:
technically that's a huge advantage. What a tosser!

To add insult to injury I took his attack on Comic Sans personally. I use
Comic Sans for my <<personal>> emails: its an informal and easy to read font
suited to personal use. I wouldn't write a business email or technical
document in that font. The journalist needs a good kicking!

Terry Farrell

You can sometimes avoid the problem if you use a font for the headings that
looks bold (such as "Arial Black").
Last time I said that I got flamed from here to hell because somebody
thought "Arial Black" was an ugly font for headings, but you may have other
fonts installed that work... "Arial Black" just happens to be available on
most Word installations.

Regards,
Klaus

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Font snobs often say that you should never use TNR or Arial, primarily just
because they're overused. But they're overused for a reason: they work. For
a printed document, yes, you may get more attention or the special look
you're aiming for by using a different font, but if you're creating an
electronic document to be shared, you're much better off using one of the
Windows core fonts (or at least, swapping Office documents, one of the fonts
that come with all versions of Office) to give your recipient a fighting
chance of seeing what you saw when you created it.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

all may benefit.

Charles Kenyon

I believe that serif fonts are supposed to be easier to read in body text.

I print my documents and want them to look a bit different, so I do use
other fonts, especially in my letterhead.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

TF

Charles

Using a different font to create a stylish letterhead is a very acceptable
practise. In our business documentation, we use a different font for the
Front Page! Many of the publications that I have read on typographical
design suggest a serif font for body text and a sans serifed font for
titles. Generally, this does seem a good combination if the fonts are chosen
correctly. With a few exception, sans serif fonts scale up in size far
better than a serif font.

Terry

message :I believe that serif fonts are supposed to be easier to read in body text.
:
: I print my documents and want them to look a bit different, so I do use
: other fonts, especially in my letterhead.
: --
: Charles Kenyon
:
: Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
:
: Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
: Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
:
: See also the MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word which is awesome!
: --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
: This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
: and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
: from my ignorance and your wisdom.
:
: "TF" <terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom> wrote in message
: : > Klaus
: >
[...]
: > "Shauna Kelly" wrote:
: >> Hi Andy
: >>
+
[...]
: >> >
: >> > e.g. say I have paragraph styles called style1 and style2 where
style2
: >> > includes bold.
: >> >
: >> > now say I have a character style called "emphasised" which is bold,
: >> > italic, underlined
: >> >
: >> > If I take a paragraph in style2 and then apply the emphasised style
: >> > a
: >> > word within it, the word ends up not bold, so it's like the 2 bolds
: >> > cancel
: >> > each other out; this is the behaviour I'm trying to avoid.
: >> >
: >> > "TF" <terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom> wrote in message
: >> > : >> >> Andy
: >> >>
: >> >> The answer is that you should avoid using direct formatting
otherwise
: >> >> conflicts with toggled emphasis such as bold, underline and italics
: >> >> will
: >> >> happen. You can remove the direct character formatting by using
: >> >> Ctl+Spacebar
: >> >> to reset a character of Ctrl+Q to reset a paragraph. Then apply the
: >> >> new
: >> >> style to the characters or paragraph.
: >> >>
: >> >> --
: >> >> Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: >> >> http://word.mvps.org/
: >> >>
: >> >> : >> >> : Hi all,
: >> >> :
[...]

Provided you don't expect the document to travel. We are constantly getting
questions from people who are evidently sending letters as electronic files.
In such cases, the same appearance can be achieved by converting the
letterhead to a picture, but that won't help the body of the document. In
such cases, you have no control over how the document will look at the other
end (and font substitution increases the likelihood of a variation in line
and page breaks).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

all may benefit.

Daiya Mitchell

Using a different font to create a stylish letterhead is a very acceptable
Provided you don't expect the document to travel. We are constantly getting
questions from people who are evidently sending letters as electronic files.

I'm always a little unhappy whenever I am sending attachments and I have to
change the font back to TNR. :(

Daiya

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Well, you could embed the font, but the recipient might not thank you for it
(especially if he/she is on dial-up)!

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)