Problem with bootup

W

will_s

Not sure if its a Vista or motherboard problem. Have Vista running on a stripe Raid setup ( using Gigabyte Raid ) and have a esata drive on my normal sata controllers ( ICH9 ). Now when I start with my esata drive turned on it wont boot to the raid drives and I get a message "bootmgr not found" ( something like that ). So I turned the esata drive off and it boots ok and then I turn the esata back on and all is ok.

Its annoying so anyway to make sure the Raid is the 1st boot device always. Have looked in BIOS and it just shows hard drive

btw: am using the Gigasbyte raid instead of the Intel raid as I couldnt get Vista to find the drivers for the ICH9 on the Gigabyte setup CD ( found the gigabytes one ok ) and I dont have a floppy to use and follow their *&^% instructions.

G

gerryf

Not familiar with that motherboard, but you should be able to set the boot order in bios so that the esata drive is not the first boot device.
Not sure if its a Vista or motherboard problem. Have Vista running on a stripe Raid setup ( using Gigabyte Raid ) and have a esata drive on my normal sata controllers ( ICH9 ). Now when I start with my esata drive turned on it wont boot to the raid drives and I get a message "bootmgr not found" ( something like that ). So I turned the esata drive off and it boots ok and then I turn the esata back on and all is ok.

Its annoying so anyway to make sure the Raid is the 1st boot device always. Have looked in BIOS and it just shows hard drive

btw: am using the Gigasbyte raid instead of the Intel raid as I couldnt get Vista to find the drivers for the ICH9 on the Gigabyte setup CD ( found the gigabytes one ok ) and I dont have a floppy to use and follow their *&^% instructions.

W

will_s

problem is its not a true esata

its a add on bracket that connects to the onboard ICH9 sata controller
Not familiar with that motherboard, but you should be able to set the boot order in bios so that the esata drive is not the first boot device.

A

andy

The boot drive is determined by the order of the drives in Hard Disk
Boot Priority.

The problem is the whenever the bios detects a change in the hard disk
configuration, it reorders the drives in Hard Disk Boot Priority to a
default order.

W

will_s

andy said:
The problem is the whenever the bios detects a change in the hard disk
configuration, it reorders the drives in Hard Disk Boot Priority to a
default order.

I thought something like that. Cant see anything in the Bios that will let
me change this.

Actually it may help me with something.......will put a stripped down