Problem with 1GB DDR Memory

Adrian

Hi there,

I'm having a problem with my computer at the moment - when I built it, I put
in 1GB of Corsair PC3200 DDR memory. However, I have recently been having
problems with totally random lockups.

Anyway, what I have found out, is that with the full 1GB of ram installed, I
get these lockups, however if I pull out one of the 512mb sticks, leaving
512mb remaining, the problems disappear. Neither of the sticks seem to be
faulty, as I can have either of them installed without problem, its only
when they are both installed I get lockups.

My system is as follows:

AMD Barton 2800+
MSI K7N2 Delta nForce 2 Motherboard
1024mb Corsair PC3200 DDR
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
Windows XP Pro

I've fresh installed Windows so thats not the problem.

Anyone have any ideas? Perhaps a BIOS setting? Or maybe just a dodgy
motherboard?

Thanks,

-
Adrian

KCB

Adrian said:
[...]

Check your memory timings in BIOS. Maybe you need to try less aggressive
timings? Are you running it in sync with your proc? Have you tried a
memory testing program (memtest 86, prime 95, etc...) with both sticks in?

Adrian

Hi there,

Yes I have tried Memtest 86 with both sticks in, and it seems to check out
fine - i'll try fiddling with the memory timing later (im having a break at
the moment before i pull my hair out!). How do you mean in sync with the
processor? Both running at the same fsb speed? At the moment I have the
fsb set to 166, and dram to 200 (as it is 400mhz ddr memory).

Thanks

D K Woods

I've seen memory listed at different latencies depending on how many
modules were being used. For instance CAS2.5 with 2 modules, but CAS3
with 4. You might try a slightly less agressive latency settings from
your BIOS. First step I would recommend though is visiting your mb's
manufacturor's website and getting the latest BIOS.

-david

Jon Danniken

Adrian said:
Hi there,

Yes I have tried Memtest 86 with both sticks in, and it seems to check out
fine - i'll try fiddling with the memory timing later (im having a break at
the moment before i pull my hair out!). How do you mean in sync with the
processor? Both running at the same fsb speed? At the moment I have the
fsb set to 166, and dram to 200 (as it is 400mhz ddr memory).

Athlon boards don't exactly run efficiently in async mode; set it to 1:1 and see if it works.
If it does, then you should look into raising your FSB while monitoring for temperature and
stability.

BTW: have you tried using another slot?

Jon

KCB

Adrian said:
Hi there,

Yes I have tried Memtest 86 with both sticks in, and it seems to check out
fine - i'll try fiddling with the memory timing later (im having a break at
the moment before i pull my hair out!). How do you mean in sync with the
processor? Both running at the same fsb speed?

Yes, both running same speed.
At the moment I have the
fsb set to 166, and dram to 200 (as it is 400mhz ddr memory).

Thanks

You will get much higher stability, without noticable performance loss, by
running 166 / 166.

Adrian

KCB said:
Yes, both running same speed.

You will get much higher stability, without noticable performance loss, by
running 166 / 166.

Thanks I shall give that a try :)

Adrian

KCB said:
Yes, both running same speed.

You will get much higher stability, without noticable performance loss, by
running 166 / 166.

Ive tried fiddling with timings, tried setting dram and fsb clock both to
166, but yet the problem remains.

Im about to fork out for some new memory, you reckon this might solve the
problem? Or do you think this is motherboard related?

Thanks

-
Adrian

KCB

Adrian said:
Ive tried fiddling with timings, tried setting dram and fsb clock both to
166, but yet the problem remains.

Im about to fork out for some new memory, you reckon this might solve the
problem? Or do you think this is motherboard related?

Thanks

-
Adrian

I'm running 1GB (2 x 512) Corsair PC3200 in ASUS A7N8X- Deluxe Rev 1.04
board at 5-2-2-2 timings w/ 166 FSB and 166 memory speed. I have run my
processor (XP 2700+) at 200 FSB along with the memory, but then memory
timings go to about 8-4-4-3 to stay stable in Windows XP, and I have to up
voltages on processor and memory. This motherboard was known to not be 200
FSB friendly until Rev 2, so I don't push my luck.

I don't think the Corsair memory would be your problem as it's known to be a
fairly reliable brand, but it is a possibility. Are you sure your
temperatures are not a problem? Have you tried re-setting board to default
settings and starting over?

Adrian

Ok heres what I have tried:

Updated motherboard BIOS
Reinstalled Windows
Bought a nice new Antec 550w PSU
Tried almost every memory setting combination in the BIOS
Tried different kinds of memory (Crucial and Corsair)
Tried memory in every slot and comination of slots

.... and still I have problems with lockups and bluescreens with 1GB of ram
installed. I am also now the prowd owner of an extra 1GB of ram and a power
supply I probably didnt need in the first place - So... I have decided to
ditch this MSI motherboard and get myself a new one. Hopefully this will
solve my problem - I cant see what else it can be - I was having these
problems before I changed my hard drives and video card, so it isn't them.

Thanks for everyones help, Ill let you know what happens.

Regards,
-
Adrian

[...]

JAD

you have change the vcache settings...or used 'cacheman' type software to control the usage?

Adrian

JAD said:
you have change the vcache settings...or used 'cacheman' type software to
control the usage?

If my computer doesnt run with the default settings in windows, then I would
say something is wrong somewhere - for me, if it dont run properly without
having to tweak loads of settings, then it aint good enough!

Thanks for the tip though, used to use cacheman a while back and it really
helped.

-
Adrian

Comcast News

Adrian said:
[...]

Well, could be a couple things. I recently read an article which stated
that one should use ECC Registered RAM at 1 GB and over because the more RAM
one accesses the greater the chance a very small porition may be faulty,
thus tripping up the cpu.

I will admit, however, that I have 1GB of regular PC133 RAM installed in my
Dual 1GB PIII system on an ABIT VP6 motherboard running WindowsXP Pro and
I've never had any problems. The RAM is rated CAS2 but I have to run it at
CAS3 to avoid lockups. I'm not sure if your PC2300 DDR RAM comes in CAS2 or
CAS3 flavors.

slower

I am running about the same system ( I only use MSI boards) currently
with an AMD 2800 chip and 1 gig of memory. I havn't opened my case on
this system in a while but i believe there are 3 slots for the memory,
try using slots 1 & 3 and see what happens, may be that slot 2 is bad.
If there is only 2 slots (as my memory has been known to fail me) get
a 1 gig stick of memory and plug it in, if you can afford it.I have
had memory slots go bad. The board should have a 1 year warranty on it
so test it quick and try to get it replaced if it is bad.
Slower

Kill Bill

put installed,

Well, could be a couple things. I recently read an article which stated
that one should use ECC Registered RAM at 1 GB and over because the more RAM
one accesses the greater the chance a very small porition may be faulty,
thus tripping up the cpu.

I will admit, however, that I have 1GB of regular PC133 RAM installed in my
Dual 1GB PIII system on an ABIT VP6 motherboard running WindowsXP Pro and
I've never had any problems. The RAM is rated CAS2 but I have to run it at
CAS3 to avoid lockups. I'm not sure if your PC2300 DDR RAM comes in CAS2 or
CAS3 flavors.

slower" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[/QUOTE]
I am running about the
same system ( I only use MSI boards) currently
with an AMD 2800 chip and 1 gig of memory. I havn't opened my case on
this system in a while but i believe there are 3 slots for the memory,
try using slots 1 & 3 and see what happens, may be that slot 2 is bad.
If there is only 2 slots (as my memory has been known to fail me) get
a 1 gig stick of memory and plug it in, if you can afford it.I have
had memory slots go bad. The board should have a 1 year warranty on it
so test it quick and try to get it replaced if it is bad.
Slower
With that much memory, upping the voltage couldn't hurt. It only goes to
2.7v anyway. Could be a memory timing as well, I have the same mobo and
1GB of memory that's 1x512 and 2x256 running dual channel 2.0-3-2-11. Runs
fine. There's also www.memtest86.com