Problem trying to configure Multihomed SBS2000 with Wireless router and clients.

Chris Swinney

Hi all,

I'm having trouble trying to configure a simple a SBS 2000 (with ISA 2000)
unit to work with our wireless router. Originally, the SBS box was
multihomed, with one NIC dedicated to the internal LAN on 192.168.0.x, and
the second NIC dedicated to the external BB modem on 192.168.1.x. This
worked fine but now we installed a BB wireless router between the modem and
SBS external NIC.

I now want to get wireless clients to be able to connect through to the SBS
unit as if they were part of the LAN. I have managed to do this by assigning
IP address on the 192.168.1.x subnet using the router DHCP client directing
to the SBS box (192.168.1.2), then VPN through the ISA firewall to connect
to the LAN. This seems a little convoluted though.

I have also tried to add a second IP to the external NIC (192.168.2.2) and
assign IP address in this range but even though I manage this, communication
is blocked by the external interface of the ISA server. I can't even ping
the server at 192.168.2.2 from the client (even with an 2.x address), but I
can ping 192.168.1.2. I did add the 2.x subnet to the ISA local routing
table.

The new router has four ports and so far, I have only connected one of these
to the external NIC. Should I simply connect another port direct to the
internal switch (as by implication to the internal NIC) or is there
something else I should be doing?

I have cross posted in several groups as this possibly touches on a few
areas. I hope this is OK.

Many thanks

Chris

Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]

First please do not cross post. find what you think is the appropriate group and post there. If you need to be in a different group, you'll be "notified".

That said, you bought the wrong device to do what you want to do.

If you can still take the router back..do so and get a Wireless Access Point. This plugs in to your switch, gets its address from the SBS DHCP server after simple configuration and then allows your wireless clients to get a DHCP assigned address inside the lan.

--
Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
Please do not email me directly for assistance. Reply only in the Newsgroups for the benefit of everyone
[...]

Many thanks. The router had VoIP capabilities which included PSTN pass
through and QoS. This was the main reasoning for choising this unit. The
wireless feature was a "bonus". We have now had this for some time and it is
only recently we have introduced wireless clients.

For the time being we have linked the router's inbuilt switch to both sides
of the SBS server - direct to the external interface and to the main LAN
switch. This actually allows us to do exactly what we want, although I
suppose there is a potential security risk. Of course, the majority of
external ports are blocked at the router and those that are open are
directed ONLY to the external interface of the SBS server.

It's a fudge, but it works.

Chris

"Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]" <[email protected]>
wrote in message First please do not cross post. find what you think is the appropriate
[...]

yes, I think you do have a hole because you've bypassed the external interface of SBS, second issue I think is name resolution going forward.

If this were me or my client. I would simply turn off the wireless capability of this router, unless you want to provide "guest" internet access.

Spend 50 bucks for a true Wireless Access Point. Secure the network

--
[...]

Would name resolution be going forward? The SBS2000 DHCP server is configured with an option setting the DNS server and gateway for the client to the internal interface on 192.168.0.1. There is no WINS server running.

What would other small business do when running this type of Broadband router without a SBS2000 server (i.e. the router itself would be assigned DHCP duties and forwarding DNS requests) and performing all gateway duties?

I do agree though that the best alternative would be to get another access point placed on the internal LAN side, this will have to be done as finances allow - even £50.

Chris

[...]

Eric Vartanian

I have a big problem.

I have a server 2000 ready to go with two partitions.

Somehow when I was finalizing it up, by mistake I went to "Diskmanagment"

And remove the "Boot Active" from C: which it is the main to D: which there

Is nothing.

In the old windows 98 or maybe XP or win 2K times, with FAT 16 or 32

I could do boot with Boot Diskette win98 and go to Fdisk and remove the boot

Disk and make the C: active as primary partition.

How can I make my c:\ again Active Boot partition?

I tried any thing that I could come, like boot with CD server 2K or some

Other utility, but unfortunately beyond their expertise.

Is there anyway I can make my C:\ partition Active which I made mistake and
made my D:\ active which I am getting "NTLDR is missing"

I know I can format the hardisk and start all over again, but I am

Sure there is a simpler way.

Please advice.

Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]

Sorry for the delayed answer.
You should setup and configure WINS things will run much more smoothly.

Regarding companies without SBS and allowing the router to do it all. In these situations its just a gateway to the internet. No file sharing etc.

--
[...]

Not sure why you tagged on to this ticket as it has nothing to do with the current topic.

You should start a new thread in a Windows 2000 only newsgroup