From: "ct98" <[email protected]>
Subject: Problem setting up 2k3 Print server
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:33:56 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

I am having a problem with setting up a 2k3 server as a print server in my
test lab. The printer works well on the NT4 network, I just unplugged it
and plugged it into my test lab network. The printer is an HP5m.
I start the "configure your server" wiz
Then the "add printer" wiz starts
Local printer (because the server has no printers installed)
Create a new port (Std TCP/IP port)
The "Add Port" Wiz starts
I enter HP5m in the printer name and the port name is automaticlly named the
same
Then I get a "The device is not found, addtional info required"
I change the device type to JETDIRECT
Verify the setting and it goes back to the add printer wiz (driver install)
I finish the wizard and attempt to print a test page, but it always fails.

I can see that there is a problem with the port. The 2k3 books say that
naming this port cannot be willy-nilly, but I have no idea what to name the
port or the IP address. Can anyone help?
--

Trying putting the IP address of the printer in as the Printer Name. You should then end up with a Port Name of IP_
<address>, where <address> is the IP address of the printer.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

ct98

I have found out through the MIO self test that TCP/IP is disabled on the
jetdirect card. Any idea on how to emable it?