problem publishing website with Frontpage 2003

Reaction score
I have been using FP 2003 for years on my Windows 7 PC with no problems, but suddenly find that when I click 'Publish Website' the Remote Website pane fails to open and then I get the message 'FTP session was terminated'. I have checked with my webhost who say there is no problem their end, reinstalled FP, but still no progress.
Any suggestions please (keep it simple - I'm no techie)?

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
If the software hasn't changed, then consider your content. Have you added new files or folders to your site since the last time FP successfully published it? I haven't used FrontPage in ages (and frankly, wouldn't recommend it to anyone today), but as I recall it had a tendency to create some pretty long filename/path structures. The "terminated" error could be just FrontPage's "carte blanche" error message for encountering a situation it has not been programmed to handle.

Also, it could be a dependency issue. Some software I know that was coded for older Windows versions requires .NET 3.5 to be installed, but refuses to function correctly if 3.5.1 update is installed.

I would urge you to upgrade to a more modern solution for your publishing needs, though.

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts. I have now managed to get back into my site. I think I'd missed a couple of steps in reloading the software, though this doesn't explain why the problem happened in the first place. I was wondering whether it was time to think about a new web programme, though up to now FP has served me well. Any suggestions on a good (but not expensive) one, that's simple to use?

Ask a Question