Problem opening new page

I see many postings that are similar to mine. When I attempt to open a new
page in IE that uses Javascript (I am not sure it is limited to Javascript),
I get the message "Error on Page" and nothings happens. When I enable
displaying errors, the error is typically; "Permission Denied" or "Cannot run
this...". All these pages run successfully on my computer at work.

I am running IE 6, XP SP2. I have tried everything under the sun in the
security settings, have deleted temp files, cleared history, etc. to no avail.

This has caused many pages to be unusable because they require navigation to
these pages to complete the process.

Is there an inherent problem in SP2? I have seen many threads on this
subject posted here.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Some possibilities:
Go to Internet Options> Security> Internet Zone, set it to Default.

Clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete
files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often
recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

Check any third-party security programs (antivirus, pop-up blockers, etc.)
to see if one of them is blocking
scripts, scripting, active content.

Try these two commands from Start> Run> cmd [enter]
regsvr32 vbscript.dll [enter]
regsvr32 jscript.dll [enter]

Reinstall the scripting engine. Go to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
for the appropriate download of Microsoft Windows Script 5.6.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Thanks Don.

Unfortunately I have done all those things (some more than once). When I
just tried again, here is the actual error that occurred: "Object doesn't
support this property or method."

One thing I just uncovered; when I tried to run regsvr32 MSJava.dll, I do
not have MS Java on my machine. I do have Sun Java. This may be the culprit
but I cannot find where I can download MS Java any longer as MS is not
shipping it with Windows these days and I could not find it on their download
site.

Any ideas?

Ed

Ed W said:
I see many postings that are similar to mine. When I attempt to open a new
page in IE that uses Javascript (I am not sure it is limited to Javascript),
I get the message "Error on Page" and nothings happens. When I enable
displaying errors, the error is typically; "Permission Denied" or "Cannot run
this...". All these pages run successfully on my computer at work.

I am running IE 6, XP SP2. I have tried everything under the sun in the
security settings, have deleted temp files, cleared history, etc. to no avail.

This has caused many pages to be unusable because they require navigation to
these pages to complete the process.

Is there an inherent problem in SP2? I have seen many threads on this
subject posted here.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Don Varnau

Hi,
The use of Sun Java rather than MSJVM (MS Java) shouldn't be a problem here.

A few more things to try:
Delete the Temporary Internet Files folder. Login as another user with admin
privileges (or from the machine's default admin account- from safe mode) and
delete the TIF folder.

Uninstall Yahoo companion, if it's installed. Take another look at all

Ed W said:
[...]

Thanks Don. I'll try these other approaches and see if it gives any relief.

Ed