Problem Now with HPF2 Units

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
On top of the Genome Comparison problem today, there now appears to be a problem with the Human Proteome Folding (HPF2) results too.

It would appear that although Boinc crunches and reports them correctly - they are later showing as 'errors' or 'too late' when you check the report status at WCG>My Grid.

It is looking more like a server validation issue, rather than with the units themselves - and once corrected the validation and credits will be rerun.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=12470 :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Thanks ...

Been pulling my beard out, due to lack of any hair, trying to get Bonkit to work on two PCs, only to find one reporting this "error" also.

I tell you ... I am again on the verge of kicking this lot in the head, literally. :mad:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Only running FAAH units here so i guess i am ok. :D

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, i've had a couple of these.

Maybe i'll switch to FAAH too

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Update

This problem has now been resolved - any results showing this error should now be correctly credited :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Been pulling my beard out, due to lack of any hair, trying to get Bonkit to work on two PCs, only to find one reporting this "error" also.

I tell you ... I am again on the verge of kicking this lot in the head, literally. :mad:
:( Is this with XP, Linux or Vista Mucks?

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
With Mucks gotta be Vista ...
Its been doing his head in :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
:( Is this with XP, Linux or Vista Mucks?
XP

Bonic & UD are not Vista ready. :(

I have not really had any problems with Linux.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I know its no comfort to you Mucks - but it can't be Boinc thats the problem as all of us using XP run it fine - so it must be an XP or hardware problem?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
I know its no comfort to you Mucks - but it can't be Boinc thats the problem as all of us using XP run it fine - so it must be an XP or hardware problem?
Yep ... you are correct.

Apparently Boinc is a better "time keeper" than the Old Girl is, she tends to gain time, Boinc don't like that.

Under Linux this did not seem to matter, but I did have to re-set the clock every few days or the Old Girl would be receiving work before it was released.

OpenSuse (all versions I have tried too date) is the only OS that the Old Girl never has this "problem" with at all ... computer are fun. Never gained or lost one second. :rolleyes:

Now, since I got Vista on my main PC, and I'm a thrifty Scot, I wasn't going to waist Microsoft dollars and simply chuck XP in the bin ... so, I installed XP on the Old Girl, where it did reside for over three years prior to Linux, same copy & again with no problems.

Just been peeving me off that I can't get WCG to "work" in Vista and then see every return on the Old Girl recommending I reset the project.

I can take so much, then I give in & feckit ... :(

I'm not in the right frame of mind to "bother" fixing it at the moment. Maybe next week.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Can't help with Vista Mucks - but I know many who are running Boinc fine with it, so I'll ask over at a couple of other forums I frequent - one thing I know they say is that the benchmarks are lower in Boinc with Vista which they attribute to the amount of processes working under Vista compared to XP.

Any idea why the Old Girl gains time? is it down to its age/cmos?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Can't help with Vista Mucks - but I know many who are running Boinc fine with it, so I'll ask over at a couple of other forums I frequent - one thing I know they say is that the benchmarks are lower in Boinc with Vista which they attribute to the amount of processes working under Vista compared to XP.

Any idea why the Old Girl gains time? is it down to its age/cmos?
No real idea why the Old Girl gains or why she does not gain under OpenSuse. The annoying thing is, under XP the gain is very small, but it is all that anybody can come up with.

I even loaded the Beta version of Bionc, but I haven't tried UD yet.

As for Vista, sorry but neither program from WCG are Vista ready. I have done enough "searching" on the subject. :(

muckshifter

Reaction score
Conducting an experiment ...

XP uses a default time-sync @ "time.nist.gov" however, this brings up an error ... but I found that Microsoft actually have there own time-server @ "time-nw.nist.gov" and Vista uses "time.microsoft.com"

We shall see. :thumb:

* pc clocks are actually crap at keeping time *

Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, but have you done the firewall settings?
Adding the 3 Boinc .exe's to your firewall exception list and give them unlimited scope. I know thats a possible security issue, but we assume Boinc is safe and it would be worth a quick check at least. Vista has a more complex setup behind it compared to Vista (Possibly to confuse people enough to not mess with the files and settings ;)

There are people using Boinc with Vista, not sure about the WCG apps though.

muckshifter

Reaction score
MattM said:
Apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, but have you done the firewall settings?
Adding the 3 Boinc .exe's to your firewall exception list and give them unlimited scope. I know thats a possible security issue, but we assume Boinc is safe and it would be worth a quick check at least. Vista has a more complex setup behind it compared to Vista (Possibly to confuse people enough to not mess with the files and settings ;)

There are people using Boinc with Vista, not sure about the WCG apps though.
Hello Matt,

Your last quote is true, people are indeed using Boinc on Vista. :thumb:

You'll be pleased to know I don't use Vista's own firewall, Vista's own firewall permits EVERYTHING unrestricted access to the Internet. :nod:

I may need to learn how to use KIS's incarnations of a firewall, but it never asked me what I should do with any "unknown" trying to access the internet to phone home ... but worth a look anyway. :thumb:

I'm sorry to say it again, my comment is falling on deaf ears, but, WCG's crunching programs are simply NOT Vista compatible. ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I may need to learn how to use KIS's incarnations of a firewall, but it never asked me what I should do with any "unknown" trying to access the internet to phone home ... but worth a look anyway. :thumb:
Like you I would have thought it would warn to accept or deny access - on mine just in case I have gone to the Anti-Hacker settings and created rules for both boinc.exe and boincmgr.exe.

muckshifter said:
I'm sorry to say it again, my comment is falling on deaf ears, but, WCG's crunching programs are simply NOT Vista compatible. ;)
I suppose it depends on what folks regard as being compatible - those successfully running Boinc with WCG on Vista would probably say it is compatible?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Like you I would have thought it would warn to accept or deny access - on mine just in case I have gone to the Anti-Hacker settings and created rules for both boinc.exe and boincmgr.exe.

I suppose it depends on what folks regard as being compatible - those successfully running Boinc with WCG on Vista would probably say it is compatible?
oops, I used that word that does not exist when used in the same context with a Computer ... so sorry. :blush:

What I should have said is ... the programs offered by WCG are not Vista Ready. :)

United Devices for Windows ® (XP, Me, 2000, 98) and BOINC for Windows ® (XP, Me, 2000, 98)

Look, I'm not disputing the FACT that people are using Boinc on Vista ... I AIN'T :rolleyes:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
This look familiar Mucks?

cberanim6.gif

:D

Ask a Question