Problem installing Lexmark x4650 - error 0x000006be, Print Spooler, Add Printer

AndyW68

I have had problems for the best part of a week now trying to install a
brand new Lexmark x4650 printer onto my 6 month old Compaq Laptop
running with Vista basic.

I have tried other printers (HP and Dell) and have had similar
problems.

The printer seems to install fine (both using the provided disc and
after downloading the latest drivers from the Lexmark website). However
once installed I receive a message advising that some software for the
drivers has not installed correctly. The printer is not then visible in
the Control Panel.

Also:

1) When trying to install (add) a new printer manually (before and
after removing all previously installed software) an error message
appears,
telling that the spooler is not running (or similar)

2) When checking in the services.msc console,
I can see that the spooler has stopped.

3) When starting the spooler, it seems to stark ok,
but as soon as I try to (again) "add" a printing (using the
appropriate button)
- the spooler immediately crashes (stops)
and the same error message occurs
- spooler not started and/or
- windows can't open add printer and/or
- Operation could not be completed and/or
- error 0x000006be
- etc...

4) I have checked the dependencies for the spooler and they are all
started and set to Automatic.

I have spent hours going through this and other forums trying to find a
solution. I have tried many that I have found but to no avail. I would
be very grateful for any assistance anyone could provide - especially
from Microsoft who (when I try to contact them) say they cannot help.

I have spoken to Lexmark for an hour who said the printer and my laptop
were working fine and it was a Vista problem.

I have currently uninstalled all software and am back to square one!

Please help. Many thanks in advance.

AndyW

Alan Morris [MSFT]

AndyW68

Thanks for your response. When I look into services.msc the spooler i
started and set to Automatic. However when I select file> serve
properties I receive a message saying 'Server properties cannot b
viewed. The local printer spooler service is not running. Pleas
restart the spooler or restart the machine'

thanks
Andyw68

'Alan Morris [MSFT said:
;732181']Square one, does this maen the spooler is running at this time
Most
spooler failures occur due to print driver corruption of the proces
memory.

If the spooler is not running, verify that all the driver component
are
gone.

'Bruce's Printing Pages
(http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm)

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers n
rights.

"AndyW68" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

[...]

the spooler is crashing. This is typically caused by print drivers
corrupting the memory in the spooler process

Check the registry for the print drivers that are installed on the system
and follow Bruce's instructions.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

AndyW68 said:
Thanks for your response. When I look into services.msc the spooler is
started and set to Automatic. However when I select file> server
properties I receive a message saying 'Server properties cannot be
viewed. The local printer spooler service is not running. Please

'Alan Morris [MSFT said:
;732181']Square one, does this maen the spooler is running at this time?
Most
spooler failures occur due to print driver corruption of the process
memory.

If the spooler is not running, verify that all the driver components
[...]

Hi.

I have followed Bruce’s guide to the letter and manually removed a
much printer related files as I can see. I was unable to use th
cleanspl.exe as it does not work with NT6.0 (only 4.0 and 5.0).

However this has not worked.

When I reinstalled the Lexmark printer using the provided disc, th
install completes successfully but the printer does not print and n
printer is visible in control panel.

When the USB cable is connected (both during and after the instal
process) Windows searches for drivers and provides the followin
message in a Found New Hardware’ box:

‘Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for you
device. Windows found driver software for your device but encountere
an error while attempting to install it. One of the installers for thi
device cannot perform the installation at this time’

Selecting ‘Add Printer’ manually produces the messages below (dependin
on whether the print spooler is running at the time):

Error 1067 – could not start the print spooler service – terminate
unexpectedly

Unable to add printer spooler service is not working

Error 0x000006be

There were however some files that I was unsure as to whether I shoul
delete or not. These were in folde
%systemroot%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86. A screen dump of these i
the attached document.

Thanks

'Alan Morris [MSFT said:
;733327']the spooler is crashing. This is typically caused by prin
drivers
corrupting the memory in the spooler process

Check the registry for the print drivers that are installed on th
system
and follow Bruce's instructions.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

Alan Morris [MSFT]

The PnP service can't install a print driver when the spooler is not
running.

is there a WER (Windows Error Report) file for the failure?

%systemroot%\programdata\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report[#####]

if you see spooler.xml and the *.tmp.hmp then you have a full memory dump of
the spooler service as it failed

Report.wer
spooler.xml
SpoolerETW.etl
WERAF80.tmp.version.txt
WERAF81.tmp.appcompat.txt
WERAFA2.tmp.hdmp
WERC42C.tmp.mdmp
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

AndyW68 said:
Hi.

I have followed Bruce's guide to the letter and manually removed as
much printer related files as I can see. I was unable to use the
cleanspl.exe as it does not work with NT6.0 (only 4.0 and 5.0).

However this has not worked.

When I reinstalled the Lexmark printer using the provided disc, the
install completes successfully but the printer does not print and no
printer is visible in control panel.

When the USB cable is connected (both during and after the install
process) Windows searches for drivers and provides the following
message in a Found New Hardware' box:

'Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your
device. Windows found driver software for your device but encountered
an error while attempting to install it. One of the installers for this
device cannot perform the installation at this time'

Selecting 'Add Printer' manually produces the messages below (depending
on whether the print spooler is running at the time):

Error 1067 - could not start the print spooler service - terminated
unexpectedly

Unable to add printer spooler service is not working

Error 0x000006be

There were however some files that I was unsure as to whether I should
delete or not. These were in folder
%systemroot%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86. A screen dump of these in
the attached document.

Thanks

'Alan Morris [MSFT said:
;733327']the spooler is crashing. This is typically caused by print
drivers
corrupting the memory in the spooler process

Check the registry for the print drivers that are installed on the
system
and follow Bruce's instructions.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

AndyW68

I can see no WER in the folder ReportQueue but there are 5 in the Repor
Archive (also in the WER folder you mention).

However could you advise which program I should use to open them?
receive the message 'Windows cannot open this file - please select fro
a list' when I tried to.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge on this. Thanks for you help.

'Alan Morris [MSFT said:
;734104']The PnP service can't install a print driver when the spoole
is not
running.

is there a WER (Windows Error Report) file for the failure?

%systemroot%\programdata\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report[#####]

if you see spooler.xml and the *.tmp.hmp then you have a full memor
dump of
the spooler service as it failed

Report.wer
spooler.xml
SpoolerETW.etl
WERAF80.tmp.version.txt
WERAF81.tmp.appcompat.txt
WERAFA2.tmp.hdmp
WERC42C.tmp.mdmp
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

Alan Morris [MSFT]

open the report.wer file in notepad
look for the Fault Module Name.

Version=1
EventType=APPCRASH
EventTime=128556963484732107
ReportType=2
Consent=1
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Name=Application Name
Sig[0].Value=spoolsv.exe
Sig[1].Name=Application Version
Sig[1].Value=6.0.6001.18000
Sig[2].Name=Application Timestamp
Sig[2].Value=4791956c
Sig[3].Name=Fault Module Name
Sig[3].Value=msvcrt.dll
Sig[4].Name=Fault Module Version
Sig[4].Value=7.0.6001.18000
Sig[5].Name=Fault Module Timestamp
Sig[5].Value=4791a727
Sig[6].Name=Exception Code
Sig[6].Value=c0000005
Sig[7].Name=Exception Offset
Sig[7].Value=0001225d

to investigate the dump file, you will need ntsd.exe and internet access
other than dialup

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx#a

after installing the debugger files

launch ntsd -z WER####.tmp.hdmp

this will open a window and leave you at a prompt with a thread ID

type
..symfix
..reload

0:022> .symfix
0:022> .reload
0:022> k
ChildEBP RetAddr
03cb7884 77bc9244 ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet
03cb7888 7783c3e4 ntdll!ZwWaitForMultipleObjects+0xc
03cb7924 7783c64e kernel32!WaitForMultipleObjectsEx+0x11d
03cb7940 778adb5d kernel32!WaitForMultipleObjects+0x18
03cb79ac 778add89 kernel32!WerpReportFaultInternal+0x16d
03cb79c0 7788f54d kernel32!WerpReportFault+0x70
03cb7a4c 77be85b7 kernel32!UnhandledExceptionFilter+0x1b5
03cb7a54 77b79a14 ntdll!__RtlUserThreadStart+0x6f
03cb7a68 77b740f4 ntdll!_EH4_CallFilterFunc+0x12
03cb7a90 77bc9b99 ntdll!_except_handler4+0x8e
03cb7ab4 77bc9b6b ntdll!ExecuteHandler2+0x26
03cb7b64 77bc99f7 ntdll!ExecuteHandler+0x24
03cb7b64 76f1225d ntdll!KiUserExceptionDispatcher+0xf
03cb813c 69dab854 msvcrt!strstr+0x1e
03cb8474 69daa5e7 HPZUILHN!CHPPrintUI::VHandleInputTraysUIWIPCH+0xc4
03cbb27c 69da9de1 HPZUILHN!CHPPrintUI::UpdatePrintPropSettingsWIPCH+0x7a7
03cbb29c 69d9e10a HPZUILHN!CHPPrintUI::VProcessEACwIPCH+0x51
03cbeed0 69d971e7 HPZUILHN!CHPPrintUI::BOEMPrinterEvent+0xc1a
03cbeee8 71b0460e HPZUILHN!CHPPrintUI::printerEvent+0x27
03cbef10 71affaa3 unidrvui!HComOEMPrinterEvent+0x33
0:022>

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

AndyW68 said:
I can see no WER in the folder ReportQueue but there are 5 in the Report
Archive (also in the WER folder you mention).

However could you advise which program I should use to open them? I
receive the message 'Windows cannot open this file - please select from
a list' when I tried to.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge on this. Thanks for you help.

;734104']The PnP service can't install a print driver when the spooler