Problem Description: HELP! I get this message when trying to do "Windows Update

John in San Diego

Problem Description: HELP!

I get this message when trying to do "Windows Update"

[Error number: 0x80070005]
Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display
the requested page. You may find the following resources
helpful in resolving the problem:
For self-help options:
Windows Update Response Center
Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Newsgroups
For assisted support options:
Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows
Update issues)

How do I get this fixed or ???

I am running a home PC with XP Professional now with SP1.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Updates from the Windows Update Web site are not installed and an
"Error 0x80070005: Access is denied" error message is logged to the Windows Update.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836926&Product=wupd

You Cannot Install Some Updates or Programs

Please Visit The Official Windows Update Newsgroup:

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"John in San Diego" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| Problem Description: HELP!
|
| I get this message when trying to do "Windows Update"
|
| [Error number: 0x80070005]
| Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display
| the requested page. You may find the following resources
| helpful in resolving the problem:
| For self-help options:
| Windows Update Response Center
| Windows Update Troubleshooter
| Windows Update Newsgroups
| For assisted support options:
| Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows
| Update issues)
|
| How do I get this fixed or ???
|
| I am running a home PC with XP Professional now with SP1.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

1. Check permissions on the Windows Update registry key
1.. Click Start.
2.. Choose Run.
3.. In the Run box, type REGEDIT.
4.. Click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
*WARNING*
Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
5.. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate.
6.. On the menu, click Edit. Click Permissions.
7.. For Administrator and System, select the Allow check boxes next to Full Control and Read permissions. NOTE: In certain instances, these check boxes are grayed out. Ensure all accounts have appropriate permissions.
8.. Click Apply.
9.. Click OK.
10.. Close the Registry Editor.
11.. Restart the system.