Problem connecting laptop to TV

Reaction score
Hi

i'm desperately trying to connect my laptop to display on my tv (because my laptop screen is faulty). i am trying to use a 3.5mm jack to phono cable to go from the single yellow RCA socket in my laptop into the two A/V inputs on my TV.

so i hooked them up and restarted the laptop but when i tried using the function keys to switch to the TV (having put the TV in the right AV mode), it just sort of flickered on the TV screen but remained dark/blank. when the laptop started playing some music, it caused the TV screen to jump around a bit. then, when i went to the advanced display settings (from control panel) it didn't show that it was connected to a TV at all!

Does anyone have any ideas why the laptop is not showing as being connected to the TV when I have connected in this way (laptop RCA to A/V inputs). any help or suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks!

stu

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
You posted the same message twice in two different sections - it is strongly discouraged. Please refrain from double posting.

Reaction score
my bad! sorry - i just reaally need to sort this problem out since i can't see anything on my laptop at the moment! any suggestions???

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What exactly is the 3.5mm jack plugged into? That doesn't sound right?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
You posted the same message twice in two different sections - it is strongly discouraged. Please refrain from double posting.
Well actually Quad I would always encourage you to start your OWN thread and not jump on someone else’s thread.

You'll get more people to see it then.

;)

Reaction score
the 3.5mm jack goes into the yellow single RCA output in my laptop and the 2 phonos go into the A/V inputs on my TV. the product packaging says it can be used for this, however the laptop is not "reading" the TV as being connected

Reaction score
3.5 jack? RCA input?

:confused:

Anyway...

You should have 3 sockets on the TV (assuming stereo) If you only have 2 (one audio one video)you can try the settings below but you can only use the left or right audio channel.

use a single phono to phono connector to connect the yellow sockets together, and plug the 3.5 jack into your headphone socket (drop the volume down!) and then the two phono plugs on the other side go into the red and white plugs for audio.

As a rule of thumb, video is normally the single yellow rca socket and audio the red and white ones. you do NOT plug the 3.5 jackplug into the rca socket.

If your laptop has an ATI video chipset, then you could be in for a lot of bother

If you are lucky, everything will work fine, but a lot of ATI equipped laptops have copy protection that stops you playing back DVD’s on your TV (somewhat defeating the point of the TV out)

You may also have to adjust your video control panel settings on the laptop for the TV display

Ask a Question