Problem Closing Microsoft Word

Reaction score
Dear Forum,

I am running Microsoft Word 2002 SP3 on a Windows XP SP2 system. Recently I ran into a problem where I cannot close out of the Word program without getting an error message – sometimes the closing process hangs up entirely and I have to end the program via the Task Manager. The error message is: “Microsoft Word has uncovered an error and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.” And then you have an option of restarting Word and reporting the error to Microsoft. I can close out of the particular edited file subwindow within Word (and the edited file is not corrupted), but when the Word program itself tries to close, particularly when it is in the process of saving the Normal file (Normal.dot), it seems to get into trouble. Sometimes the Saving Normal ..... dots appear, and then there is the problem, and sometimes it doesn’t even get that far, and just hangs. However, sometimes it works OK (???). Usually I just X out of the main Word window (after not having altered the edited file), and I get the problem.

I have recently installed Scansoft’s Omnipage Pro 14.0, and also have Adobe Acrobat 7.0.3 installed. The Omnipage program can create PDF’s and has an interrelationship with Word. I uninstalled the Omnipage program to try to fix the Word problem, and also used the Repair option in the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs to try to repair Word 2002, but it still doesn’t work. I also deleted and recreated the Normal.dot template, but that didn’t work either.

I am also concerned that if I email the .doc file (probably any of them on my computer) to someone as an attachment, it might corrupt their Normal.dot template file, or is that unlikely?

Any ideas...? – thanks for your help.

David Silverman

P.S. Sometimes when I add more text to my test file, it closes down properly, but then when I reload it and try closing out of it several times, without changing anything, it ultimately gets into trouble again. It’s almost like the process of viewing a Word .doc file and closing out of it without changing anything is causing a problem, especially if I do that repeatedly.

Reaction score
Dear Forum,

The actual error message is worded like this: “Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.” Sorry for the inaccuracy.

David Silverman

Ask a Question